Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Partial Flow Oil Change

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rek,

The way you describe your oil pressure, I seriously doubt there's need to clean that relief valve. It's a bit of a pain to do and with your oil change schedule, I don't think you have to worry about it getting gummed up.

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

http://RacingStudebakers.com
      Sonny

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'll forego the relief valve for now. As the oil, I plan to use Shell Rotella 15W-40. I used 20W-40 last time, but I think it's thicker than necessary and seems a little sluggish when cold (in S. FLA that means 55 degrees F.)

BTW, I have a friend with a 53 Coupe, that has a full flow 289 out of a 64, and it started knocking. He thought the worst...but it turned out that the spring in the relief valve was not correct, or not set correctly, causing the oil pressure to drop too low. Just working the spring cured the problem. We have a former Stude dealer mechanic in our SDC chapter, who has been a huge help to diagniosing problems. He helped me with my starter, which turned out to be a ground wire problem (my starter was fine).

Hank

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Rekabeduts

......... I plan to use Shell Rotella 15W-40.

Hank
          Don't get much better 'n 'at! [^]

Sonny
          Sonny

Comment

On the subject of lubrication; The damage done to a motor from inadequate lubrication, is for the most part easily avoidable.
            Most of the heat and friction damage done to a motor will be in the first few minutes on startup.
            The best of the best is an Electric auxilary oil pump, these pumps prime the system before starting and can be pressure regulated, they also get the oil to where it is most needed, at the critical start up
            time.
            If you want an engine to outlast any other,,,then consider installing one.
            I only use a single grade oil,,30wt or 40wt in my Motors, I change my filter every second oil change,,and my oil is crystal clean.
            I have never had a failure due to lack of oil, or oil pressure.
            "Things to ponder when your rebuilding your prize posession"

" I shoved my foot down on the gas pedal, and there i was *Gone*"

Comment

My Hawk, with it's mechanical fuel pump, usually takes 4 or 5 attempts at cranking before it starts, if its been a few days. The oil pressure needle usually kicks up during each attempt, so in a round about way, I think I'm getting some lubrication before it starts.

Hank

Comment

In the HD truck world, there is a gizmo that bolts onto the backside of a 40mt (Delco solenoid mount) starter. It is a small gearoter pump. When the key is turned on it activates te motor, but not the solenoud that engages the starter drive gear (Bendix). This prelubes the oil system. Never have seen one scaled down for passenger cars...yet.

There is another system out there called 'Accusump'. It is a quart sized hydraulic 'accumulator' that gets charged with engine oil from an operating engine and a solenoid closes it off and saves the pressurized quart of oil. When you turn the key to crank, the solenoid opens and a quart of pressurized oil is injected into the oil gassages. Not very expensive. In most speed shop catalogs.
                Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Thunderbucket

On the subject of lubrication; The damage done to a motor from inadequate lubrication, is for the most part easily avoidable.
                Most of the heat and friction damage done to a motor will be in the first few minutes on startup.
                The best of the best is an Electric auxilary oil pump, these pumps prime the system before starting and can be pressure regulated, they also get the oil to where it is most needed, at the critical start up
                time.
                I only use a single grade oil,,30wt or 40wt in my Motors, I change my filter every second oil change,,and my oil is crystal clean.

DEEPNHOCK@worldnet.att.net
                '61 Hawk
                '37 Coupe Express
                http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

You learn something new every day...
                  Calvin Lowell (Oldcarfart@aol.com) is an Amsoil distributor, and he pointed me out to the AMS-oiler, a pre-oiler......
                  Just what we were talking about...
                  More info here, and it is available at a Stude friendly price from good ol' Calvin!

http://intershop.amsoil.com/cgi-bin/...d/Catalog/1495

Hope the info helps.
                  Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

In the HD truck world, there is a gizmo that bolts onto the backside of a 40mt (Delco solenoid mount) starter. It is a small gearoter pump. When the key is turned on it activates te motor, but not the solenoud that engages the starter drive gear (Bendix). This prelubes the oil system. Never have seen one scaled down for passenger cars...yet.

There is another system out there called 'Accusump'. It is a quart sized hydraulic 'accumulator' that gets charged with engine oil from an operating engine and a solenoid closes it off and saves the pressurized quart of oil. When you turn the key to crank, the solenoid opens and a quart of pressurized oil is injected into the oil gassages. Not very expensive. In most speed shop catalogs.
                  Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Thunderbucket

time.

'61 Hawk
                  '37 Coupe Express
                  '61 Hawk
                  '37 Coupe Express
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Here's one available From "Canton Racing Product's"
                    http://www.accusump.com/acc_products/acc_kits.html

Comment

Working...
                    X