Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Lowered Tom's (SBCA96) Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowered Tom's (SBCA96) Avanti

I Photo Shopped Tom's Avanti to see what it would look like lowered approximately 2 1/2 inches. This would approximate the height of the stainless steel Avanti chassis with 275-40-17 rears and 245-45-17 fronts. Tom's car with 17" rims and 245-45-17 tires all around were excellent for the photo modification.

We will not be using copies of Tom's rims however, but the Bullitt style.

Photo Shopped picture

Tom's car

Tom wisely pointed out the ramifications of lowering this much.

We kept the X-member flush with the bottom of the stainless chassis rails, where the original Avanti X-member may drop as much as 1 1/4 inches.

Also the exhaust is now above the bottom of the frame rails, where the hog troughs used to be.

The rims have a 45 mm offset, keeping the wheels well inboard
    sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Yah .. it looks neat, but I have trouble dragging the exhaust now, I cant
    even imagine how I would get over a simple speed bump with it that low.
    I have considered a 1 inch drop all around, to keep the stance I nailed. At
    the moment my glasspacks are all scraped up, I can measure the frame
    and exhaust distances tonight when I get home. I seem to think I am at
    around 4.5 inches ground clearance at the lowest point. Maybe I have
    more than that, but cant be that much.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

No offense intended but it looks like front wheels don't center in wheelwell.Looks like the body don't fit the chassis.If it was my car that looked that nice i would go back to original stance.Sometimes you can just go to far.

David Baggett Mantachie,Ms.

Comment

I think with a drop that low you might want to ease up on the rake a little bit. The closer you get to the ground, the more exaggerated the rake looks. However, I like the look esp. with the big fatty rims. Personally I like Tom's choice of wheels, I think they look better than the Bullitt ones would, but I'm willing to be proven wrong (that side view might be just the ticket to plug into that wheel selector program, if anyone knows how to hack it)

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Ya know.. Tires in wheelwell's are funny things..
          If you change them, size wise, it can look strange....
          I just put 'glass rear fenders on my truck that the molds were pulled from stock fenders.. The wheelwells look strange with a fat 15" tire in there as compared to a skinny 16" tire. I am tempted to take a SawZall to the wheelwell to fix the radius...
          Avanti's are like that too... The curved radius is sensitive to tire placement and diameter..
          Get it right... Way cool..
          Off a little...Strange looking.
          Tough to get it right, for sure...
          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by stude freak

No offense intended but it looks like front wheels don't center in wheelwell.Looks like the body don't fit the chassis.If it was my car that looked that nice i would go back to original stance.Sometimes you can just go to far.

David Baggett Mantachie,Ms.
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sbca96

Yah .. it looks neat, but I have trouble dragging the exhaust now, I cant
            even imagine how I would get over a simple speed bump with it that low.
            To me, Karl's sits about right for a big wheeled Avanti...

How's the drive-ablility Karl?

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

I measured the underside of my car at a few points, it seems I guessed
              about right. The front center pivot "crown" is 6 inches off the ground. The
              drivers side head pipe is 3-7/8 off the ground, and the X-member is about
              4-7/8 off the ground. The mufflers are right there with it. If I was to do
              as the picture shows, my head pipe would be roughly 1-3/8 off the ground.
              I might be able to tuck the exhaust up more, but that puts the X-member
              at a very uncomfortable 2-3/8 off the ground. Last time I checked speed
              bumps were considerably taller. As I have mentioned on this in the past,
              Avanti wheel openings are very stylized. The arch is higher than it needs
              to be, and pulled back off center to the tire. The front of the arch is down.
              This becomes more and more obvious as the car is lowered. The Avanti
              II is even worse, and has a strong history of cracking fenders on turns. I
              think that with an Avanti, you have to ignore the wheel openings, & judge
              the height by the top of the fenders.

Tom
              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Drive-ablilty is better I think. Handles far better. With the car this low you definitely dont storm country roads. Wheel well measure at 27 1/4", frame crossmember are 4 1/2"F / 4 3/4"R lowest point is under the exhaust X at 3 5/8". But thats because of the 3" pipesMy tire and wheel combo is 255/35/20x8.5R 225/35/20x8.5F

I don't think you could lower a Avanti much more and still drive it normally.

63 Twin Supercharged Avanti
                64 Avanti R3w/NOS
                88LSC Avanti 350 Supercharged w/NOS

Comment

Karl:
                  Would you please post some side views of your Avanti?

Tom:
                  I'll have to check, but I think my lowest point is just under 5" according to the drawing. But that rarely ever is real world.
                  sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Comment

I will have to measure my wheel wells, but it sounds like both our cars are
                    at the same height right now Karl. You lowered yours, but your wheels
                    are probably taller than mine (rolling diameter). I might lower mine as
                    much as an inch more, but certainly not 2-1/2. As for handling, it rides
                    great, the 45 series tire has a decent amount of flex still, & the width helps
                    with small potholes. I love how well the car corners, and when I get the
                    Bilstein shocks on, and the larger sway bars it will be even better. I would
                    like to have a set of springs made by Eaton Springs, but I need to find out
                    the stock heights first. If my car is already "sagged" lower, than replacing
                    with new stock height springs will RAISE it! If I get front springs that are
                    too short, I guess thats better, I can always put spring spacers under the
                    coils like they did on the Avanti II. Love that exhaust Karl, when are you
                    going to make one for my Avanti, I dont need 3 inch though, 2-1/2 would
                    be fine![]

Tom

Comment

64 Avanti R3w/NOS

Comment

Karl, looks even lower than the pictures you sent me a few months ago!!

BTW measured the wheel openings:

Front is : 27-11/16 (highest point)
                        Rear is : 28-3/8 (highest point)

On the front wheel opening the highest point of the "arch" is 4 inches
                        back from the centerline of the wheel.

Tom

Comment

Before Lowering,
                          remeasured 4" behind axel center its now 27 3/8" both front & rear

64 Avanti R3w/NOS

Comment

Karl, I'm confused, you lowered it twice? Arent the pictures I posted
                            the ones you sent me after you lowered it the first time? I dont seem
                            to remember the rear tire being "tucked" like that before.

Tom

EDIT : I measured the diameter of the tire, without weight on it, its
                            26 inches in diameter. Weighted down, the center of the rim is about
                            11-11/16" from the ground, thats with contact patch crush.

Also, for reference I measured the lowest point on the body, which is
                            the rear of the front wheel opening. Its 6-1/2" from the ground. The
                            2-1/2" drop would put the fiberglass only 4 inches off the ground at
                            the location a speed bump would hit. Take in account rebound and you
                            could have an unfortunate result. Make sure your frame protects this
                            area, and you might consider some kind of replaceable scuff plate.

quote:Originally posted by Karl

Before Lowering,
                            remeasured 4" behind axel center its now 27 3/8" both front & rear

Comment

Hey Tom, maybe its because the car is empty in your pics and has two passengers in Karl's pics??? I agree it does look lower......and me likes it

Comment

Working...
                              X