Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do I get tierod ends for my 49 2r5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do I get tierod ends for my 49 2r5?

Are these a common rod end ? there are 4 are they the same ( 2 of one 2 of another RH/LH)

Jared S Yocum

Studebaker Intl. shows these available in their catalog. In spite of what you might think, the ends are different. Part#1689408 is for the entire drag link - it comes integral with new ends. $195.00!
    There WAS an earlier version of this that had replaceable ends, #520110 $40 each and it uses two of them.
    The tie rod (the link between the two spindles) has seprate ends Part#s 666193 & 666194 $35 bucks apiece or thereabouts.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hey thanks , I found out that a 269065 and 269064 are the tie rod ends avalible from NAPA, but I guess on a Studebaker the bar that connects the steering box to the passengerside spindle is a "reach rod" if I am understanding corectly you are saying that it is one peice ? Some places I have looked make it seem like it has replacible ends that are the same on either end? Also I put chevy truck rims on the front but I don't think they are right as the drum is shaped funny and I'm not sure the chevy wheel seats on the drum face right.

Jared S Yocum

Comment

As I recall, that setup requires flat washers to get it to seat squarely, and then it's hard to "center" the wheel. It is not the safest way to go. There ought to be many types of back surfaces on all the different type of GM wheels with the 5 on (4 3/4" I think) pattern, and one would think you could find one that actually fits! I understand that early small Toyota truck is the same also.

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It is a 5 on 5 same as Large GM cars or 1/2 to trucks. I would like to convert it to front disk someday.

Jared S Yocum

Comment

Jared,
            You've made the discovery that all Stude truck owners eventually come to realize - the Stude truck drums don't like to let BrandX wheels sit on them! As Rich says, about the only way to USE the Stude drums with other wheels is carefully measured stacks of washers on each lug-stud. I've looked time and again for some aftermarket spacers I could buy to use, but they just DO NOT exist.
            I'll also add that if you DO use spacers/washers of some sort, then the lug studs get to be too short and have to be exchanged for longer ones - an expensive fix, just to run "cool wheels".

There is a fix of sorts in that mid-70s Chevy 1/2ton truck brake drums can be lightly modified to work in place of the Stude drums. Their face is different and they'll allow the use of other wheels.
            As to the rod ends, read again what I said - EARLY 2Rs had replaceable ends, later did not. If yours had replaceable ends, the ends you've found might well do you.
            Drag link - Tie rod - same thing. Think "Tie rod"=ties wheels together. "Reach rod"=reaches from steering box to wheel(s).[^]

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thank you , I will take a look and see if mine are replaceable. I may just ream the holes out square and build a reach rod out of heim joints and round tube. I wander if I will be able to convert the Stude spindles to a disk? Are the hub and drum one peice? If so I may be able to machine the drum off and use a slip on rotor ,74 Old toranado rotors are that style and bolt pattern, by doing that I could get rid of the drum /rim interferance.What do you think?

Jared S Yocum

Comment

Jared, the drums are held to the hubs by the lug studs being swedged ("crimped", if you will)at their bases. This swedge is what holds the drums to the hubs. No "machining" needed - just have the lugs pressed out and the drum is free.
                As far as yoiur approach to disk brakes - you're sorta "re-inventing the wheel", pardon the pun. Jim Turner's disk brake setup already has that mastered. In fact, if you go to his website and click on truck brakes http://turnerbrake.com/truckkits.html an old photo ('97) of my Transtar, Pete comes up. Pete wears a Turner setup.

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Cherry! I will look twards that in the future. Last night I put the new tie rods on and it took the shake out of the front end(even though it does need king pins too) so I felt inclined to drive it into town for a spin (about 4 miles to town) it did it but boy is it low geared ,after I got home I looked at the tag ,it must be a 4:81 ! Why in the world were they so much lower geared than others .I have a best friend who is building a 49 Ford half ton and I looked at the rear end on it ( looks very similar only not keyed axles) it has a 3:90 gear and still had a flat six ?

Jared S Yocum

Comment

Does your truck not have overdrive??? That would make a world of difference.
                    As to "why", in 1950, folks didn't drive like the kamikazi pilots they pretend to be now![:0] There were no "interstates" of today's sorts. Further, low rear end ratios were for honest HAULING of payload - not "haulin' ass" as today's intent would be. With that rather timid 170cu.in. engine, 4.81 gave you some real pulling power!
                    Overdrive would give you a 30% advantage over that 4.81 - if you had OD.

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

Comment

I dont think it has overdrive ,if it does I have not seen a switch or lever to engage it. It just seems strange that Chevy or Ford did not have such a deep gear ,but I guess they did have bigger 6ers too. We are restoring a 51 Chevy for a guy and it may have a mid to low 3 series gear with a 235CI 6 (hugh by comarison )and the Fords 6 was over 200CI in know with 3:90s. I will need to get used to driving slower or change rear end probubly.

Jared S Yocum

Comment

There wouldn't be a "switch" per se, Jared. It was what they called "automatic overdrive". However, there WAS/IS supposed to be a knob (possibly marked "OD") you can manipulate to take advantage of the OD or lock it out.
                        Is this a 3-speed tranny or 4-speed? If it is a 4-sp, then no OD for sure. If it's a 3spd, then OD was an option and the best way to tell if you've got it (or at least the potential to have it) is to look on the transmission itself and see if there's an electric solenoid on the left side of the trans or not.
                        Again, remember that with 170 cubes, and the fact that some farmer would have bought this thing to really HAUL stuff - not just as some cool cruiser that ran around with an empty bed most of the time - and would have wanted it capable of doing so without strain.
                        I had a 57 half ton here a few years back. It had a V8, 4spd and 4.55 gears at the rear. It was NOT fun to drive any distance. BUT - the guy I bought it from - he and his dad had used that thing for hunting in the Sierra Nevada mountains for decades. With those gears and that 4-spd (and the second gas tank they'd added), it was perfect for what they expected from it!

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Working...
                        X