Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

'40 Champion breaks. Thud and hard to the left

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '40 Champion breaks. Thud and hard to the left

I know it's a Studebaker, so it's bound to act funny, but this confuses me. When I'm driving my '40 and go to break for a red light or stop sign, I will hit the clutch and put it in neuteral and hit the break. It dosen't matter how soft I press the break pedal, it makes this "thud" in the back and then stops. It stops good (and it has a full master cylinder) but always makes this thud sound and I can feel it jolt a little. Its other problem is that when I break it wants to pull to the left and I have to steer right a litle to keep it straight. Again, only when breaking. Any explanation of what might be causing this[?][?][?]
    Thanks.

Chris Dresbach. South Bend, In.

1940 Champion two door.
    Parts of the 1952 Model N prototype.
    1963 Prototype cart built by Studebaker.
    Chris Dresbach

Chris
    Have you pulled all 4 brake drums to have a look. I had a similar issue with the Lark pulling to the right and after pulling the drum off the front found a wheel cylinder was leaking and saturating the left brake shoe causing it pull to the right. As far as the thud I would check the brake shoe hold down hardware, possibly a U-joint?? and the rearend pinion bearing??? I was good to see ya last Friday @ SB. If you get bored Friday night there is a cruise in at Mc Donalds in Syracuse, IN (Lake Wawasee) on SR 13 5:00 to 8:00 and a car show Saturday at Lakeside Park. I will driving the Chebby powered 27 Ferd.

59 Lark Regal 2Dr Hardtop
    51 Champion 2Dr Sedan
    27 Ford Roadster
    Harleys, Mustangs and other Goodies
    59 Lark Regal 2Dr Hardtop
    51 Champion 2Dr Sedan
    27 Ford Roadster
    Harleys, Mustangs and other Goodies

Comment

Could be a brake hardware issue; a shoe that's not anchored to the backing plate makes the "thud" when it's thrown against the drum; also explains the pull to the left.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

One more thing to check for the 'thud' in the rear, look for rust around the washer under the castle nut. If present, this means the axle/hub connection is depending on the key, not the torque on the nut. Remove hub, clean inside and out with 320 sand paper, dry, reassemble, torque to 170 lbs and turn the nut until the castlations and the key hole line up....

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
        ....On the road, again....
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

Thanks for the sugestions. I will have to look into the breaks. What I find strange is that before Jim bought the car before me, the breaks were completely rebuilt. Given they have sat for how many years since...[V] I also noticed it was a little weird that before I refilled the master cylinder, the break pedal was getting a little closer to the floor... (Just ask Matt Burnette...) But with no signs of a leak. It can't be the rear gears because they are brand new, only a couple weeks old! Well, Jim and I will be looking at a problem with the tranny next week (oil leak![xx(]) and Ill look at the breaks while it's up on jack stands.

1940 Champion two door.
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Just because the brake system was supposedly rebuilt, that's never a good excuse to assume everything is alright. Your car's sheetmetal (and your life) depend on the brake system. Best to go ahead and pull all the drums and inspect/replace every component that isn't top notch.

Did I ever show you pictures of my Studebaker truck after I blew a wheel cylinder and slammed into the truck in front of me? I think Jim Turner could use it to sell dozens and dozens of disc brake kits.

quote:I also noticed it was a little weird that before I refilled the master cylinder, the break pedal was getting a little closer to the floor... (Just ask Matt Burnette...)
            I was skeered.

Comment

Brakes, Chris, not breaks. They sound the same but have different meanings.
              For the first time in thirty-six years I've used my teaching degree![:I]
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

Brakes, Chris, not breaks. They sound the same but have different meanings.
                For the first time in thirty-six years I've used my teaching degree![:I]
                U would think that after 16 years I could speak American.[)]

1940 Champion two door.
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Just because the brake system was supposedly rebuilt, that's never a good excuse to assume everything is alright. Your car's sheetmetal (and your life) depend on the brake system. Best to go ahead and pull all the drums and inspect/replace every component that isn't top notch.

Did I ever show you pictures of my Studebaker truck after I blew a wheel cylinder and slammed into the truck in front of me? I think Jim Turner could use it to sell dozens and dozens of disc brake kits.

quote:I also noticed it was a little weird that before I refilled the master cylinder, the break pedal was getting a little closer to the floor... (Just ask Matt Burnette...)
                  I was skeered.
                  Was that the one that had anything to do with a Jeep and waving at girls[?][)] (Ill stop there...)

1940 Champion two door.
                  Chris Dresbach

Comment

quote:
                    U would think that after 16 years I could speak American.
                    The language is English Chris. The word is also "You" not the license plate designation "U". [)]

That's two people that have called on their teaching degrees. [)]

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/th_0413001627.jpg[/IMG=left]
                    [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/th_0321001800.jpg[/IMG=left]
                    [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/th_P1000145.jpg[/IMG=right]
                    [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/th_P1000136.jpg[/IMG=right]
                    [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                    [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=left]
                    1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach

Was that the one that had anything to do with a Jeep and waving at girls[?][)] (Ill stop there...)
                      No that was a fender bender in the school parking lot. A while later I was going down the road, the person in front of me slammed on brakes, and I blew a wheel cylinder trying to get my truck to a stop. That's what I got for neglecting my brake system and thinking "Oh I'll just stop a little sooner and I'll be alright".

Lesson learned.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PlainBrownR2

quote:
                        U would think that after 16 years I could speak American.
                        The language is English Chris. The word is also "You" not the license plate designation "U". [)]

That's two people that have called on their teaching degrees. [)]

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/th_0413001627.jpg[/IMG=left]
                        [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/th_0321001800.jpg[/IMG=left]
                        [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/th_P1000145.jpg[/IMG=right]
                        [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/th_P1000136.jpg[/IMG=right]
                        [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                        [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=left]

Geesh, no I have bad breaks and getting picked on by teachers! I'm just waiting for Ed Reynolds to chime in![B)][:0][)]

1940 Champion two door.
                        Chris Dresbach

Comment

"In America, they haven't spoken English in years." --Alan Jay Lerner

Thanks to Noah Webster we have a language all our own.[)]

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.

Comment

quote:
                            Thanks to Noah Webster we have a language all our own.
                            Yeah, it's called "Is your country done with that word, because we're "borrowing" it and not giving it back [)]"
                            1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PlainBrownR2

quote:
                              Thanks to Noah Webster we have a language all our own.
                              Yeah, it's called "Is your country done with that word, because we're "borrowing" it and not giving it back [)]"
                              Allow me to add some needed punctuation in the following paragraph.
                              Yeah, it's called "Is your country done with that word? Because we're "borrowing" it and not giving it back."!
                              I am not a teacher, but I play one on television. [8D]

Museum wall grafitti.

In the middle of Minnestudea
                              sigpic
                              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Working...
                              X