Alternator interchangeability...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator interchangeability...

Hello, all. I am again trying to nail down something and am having a hard time getting the info. I am currently working through my charging system, and, although I have not yet determined my next step, I remembered reading on this forum something about Alternator interchanges. I tried (and tried) to use the search feature here on the forum, but I cannot get the thing to work. I specifically remember a thread about a Honda alternator. Even though I am not sure whether or not to replace (and if I replace, to replace with an "original" unit, or to upgrade) or to just rebuild my old alternator, but I would like to do as much homework as I can before I go any further. If anyone could help me out, either with a link to the thread, or any information about Alternator interchanges for a 63 Lark 259 without air, I would be much abliged! Thanks!

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction.

http://www.georgiastudebaker.com/interchange.htm

Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Comment

This is what I did....easy....cheap....looks like the original and are readily available.
      http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/.../hondaalt.html

Autozone....lifetime warranty...at least when I bought mine.

Bill Foy
      Kingston, Ontario
      1964 Wagonaire Slider
      Bill Foy
      1000 Islands, Ontario
      1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Thanks! Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I've been away from a computer for a few days, i am trying to cut my Internet time down to about two hours a week. Thanks, Anne for the swap list! It will come in handy. And Captain Billy, That is EXACTLY what I was trying to nail down! Thanks alot!

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction.

Comment

Captain Billy, I have aquired the kind of Alt that you recommended, and was ready to install, when I noticed that your information has no mention of a capacitor. This may sound like a really dumb question, but do I need to use one? The paperwork on the new alternator says to use one, and the old Prestolite used one, so I am assuming I should. I just want to forego any unwitting damage by hooking the thing up wrong. Thank you again for all of the information supplied so far!

Comment

All that capacitor is used for is to keep the crackling out of your AM radio.

Comment

Ah, see, I did not know that. Thanks for being patient with my ignorance. In that case, yes, I will want to put it on. After I get her going again, I plan on of working the bugs out of my original radio, and that one would have probably drove me nuts!

Comment

The Honda setup has to be the easiest deal going...mine came with a capacitor attached.....
                Bill Foy
                1000 Islands, Ontario
                1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Working...
                X