1950 Land Cruiser Bumper Over-Rider Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Land Cruiser Bumper Over-Rider Kit

I have a wonderful '50 Land Cruiser and would like to accentuate the "bullet nose" with the bumper over-rider. Anyone know where I can purchase one?

Is a kit for a '51 the same?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Is a kit for a '51 the same?
      Probably not. '50 LC/Commander used older-style "senior series" bumpers front & rear. '51 used same bumpers as Champions.

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
      In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
      If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

That's what I was thinking, Keoni. I know where a couple of '51 kits are, but not '50.

Comment

Check with Max Corkins.
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10,
          '51 Commander Starlight,
          '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
          '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Hello mbstude,

Yes, I can definitely see the difference between the '50 LC and the '51 LC bumper. But would not the "over-rider " kit fit both ?Both '50 and '51 models used the same mounting brackets, etc.
            Thanks for your help.
            Northernrv

Comment

My uncle has a 50 land cruiser and a set of 3 of the overiders for it. You can see how they are supposed to fit. He doesn't like them much and would be willing to part with them. He had a set of 51 overriders that needed a special end cap to make them work, so I ended up with them for my car.

You can see they attatch right over the standard overriders.

Comment

In my opinion, I think the over-rider detracts from the bullet nose rather than accentuating it. I have the over-rider on my 51 Land Cruiser and I plan to remove it when I can find a good straight standard bumper & guards nearby. However, I would likely keep it except it's bent and needs chroming.

Cheers!

"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                Jim Mann
                Victoria, B.C.
                Canada
                \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                Jim Mann
                Victoria, B.C.
                Canada

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mapman

My uncle has a 50 land cruiser and a set of 3 of the overiders for it. You can see how they are supposed to fit. He doesn't like them much and would be willing to part with them. He had a set of 51 overriders that needed a special end cap to make them work, so I ended up with them for my car.

You can see they attatch right over the standard overriders.

Comment

Hello and thanks for your imput. Please excuse my ignorance. But if what you show in your picture are "over-riders" then I do not know what to call what I am looking for. I am looking for a longer bar that goes across the entire bumper, but higher up. What is that called ?
                    Thanks for your help.

Northernrv

Comment

The overrider kit includes tall gaurds and the bars you are talking about. He was just trying them on in the picture to see how they looked.
                      Rob

Comment

I knew what you were talking about, but this can get confusing.

These are the terms as I know them. Here's a buddy's '51 for reference.

The two curved bars (under the headlights) I call a "Wing Guard Kit". The Wing Guard Kit is also available with the horizontal bar in the middle, which then makes the kit a "Wing Guard and Crossbar Kit". It takes special bumper guards (vertical, upright pieces) and some special brackets to utilize the guard kit.

At least that's how I understand it. So I could be completely off.

I similar kit was available for the rear.

Comment

Comment

Mine is just like 50 Champ and it is NOT an OEM. There is the name of the company on the top of each "pillar" I can check and let you know their name. I have not seen these for sale on ebay or at swap meets, fairly rare IMHO.

Mark

Comment

the 50 commander and LC Studebaker accessory was like in the picture, they had little bumberettes that sat on top of the original guards. They can be found at swap meets, I know as I picked up some last year for my 50 commander starlight, I think the over rides as someone called them were aftermarket accessories. From what I can tell, the bars themselves can be interchanged from 50-51 but may require new holes to be drilled. I actually picked up a set of these laying in sasco right before they closed, whom knows they may have found more when they moved the parts. In 51 they actually replaced the bumper guard with a taller guard. The one black car above shows this. I think the original stude guards look nice but some of the aftermarket ones detract as they look like an add on(my opinion). Good luck.

Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                              1961 Hawk
                              1964 Convertable
                              1967 Avanti
                              1961 Lark 2 door
                              1950 Commander Starlight

Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                              1961 Hawk 4-speed
                              1967 Avanti
                              1961 Lark 2 door