Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Pete's progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete's progress

Pete's heart transplant's coming along. It's slower than we would like, but that's all my fault. Between company last weekend and numberous other things that demand attention, it's not been the "Wham-Bam" that I'd envisioned. We're anxious (Pete and me) but we're getting there. Today, the engine will lower onto the frame and get buckled in.
    Dailing in the BH was a pain but it got done. Heh - locating new pins to use only took me 3 or 4 hours and I KNEW I had some here, just had to "unearth" them.[}]
    I've put three pics up in an album and while I've got more detailed shots to share, Pete's wonderin' why I'm not already out in the shop with him. So I'll put the rest up later.

http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m...=Petewaits.jpg

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Was that Pete eyeballing the camera-man? It's interesting that Pete's bumper looks identical to a Champ. That Beautiful valley cover, and you almost can't see it. What kind of motor was the original, Bob? It looks a lot like the motor in my '52.

Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Bob, two questions. Who did the timing cover polish? Looks great! And when you pulled the exhaust manifolds off the old engine were you able to tell what cylinder(s) had a blown head gasket?

Dwain G.

Comment

Clunk, remember me telling about the old gent that never saw that motor get finished? It was a '63 Lark of some sort. Full-flo 289.

Dwain, I've yet to look at the old engine to see if I could detect anything. I had another set of manifolds hanging on the wall that were cleaned, painted and ready to go. Maybe if I think of it tomorrow, I'll pull the plugs and see what's what.

I've added some more pics for your perusal! Feel free to comment, cajole, critisize and cackle.[)]
        http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m111/studebob/

Some of this stuff is pretty basic for most of us, but I've explained some of it for those that haven't done these things.

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Nice pics Bob! Reminds me of back in the 70's when you were on this end of the good ole' USA. Us Stude guys did a lot of this stuff back then. Not quite as much fun now, but then we don't do it quite as often either. Motor sure looks great, WAY better than the factory ever made them look. You keep up the good work and I'll watch for more pics.

Dan Miller
          Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
          Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Thanks Dan.
            Yes, I was much more productive then - right from one Stude to the next. But I must say that I've actually had fun with this transplant. Even last night, as I wiggled in the last of the four motor mount bolts, I felt invigorated and pleased with myself.[^]
            The exhaust pipe Y was reluctant to pop onto the second manifold outlet after I'd gotten it on the first one. I didn't fancy loosening all 6 bolts on one manifold just so that it would go into the pipe flange so I just just gripped the pipe end and gave a hearty shove![}] Boink! - it was on!
            This morning the spark slinger goes back in, tranny (UGH!) gets muscled into place (can you get a hernia lying on your back???[xx(]) and I get to finagle linkage for that new 4bbl. Then water pump, radiator, etc., etc., etc.. I'm GONNA drive this thing this afternoon![:0][}]

OH.... here's a little mystery you guys can speculate about. In the course of turning the engine thru repeatedly while trying to get the bellhousing aligned, every second time around for the crank would produce a distinct and audible "click!". Focused on the alignment, I didn't think too much of it at first.
            Once I had the aligment within spec, I thought maybe I ought to find just what it was that was sounding off. Right quick I determined that it was coming from the rocker arm/valve spring area of the exhaust valve on #5 cylinder. Just as that valve actuated and the rocker came off the valve stem, there'd be a little click. I'd set all the valves earlier and I checked it again. Looked good.
            I couldn't really see what the face of the rocker arm looked like nor the very end of the valve stem but they seemed to be smooth. The arm moves freely and the shaft shows NO wear at all.
            I tried sticking a piece of thin cardboard between the rocker arm and the stand - effectively moving the arm a bit forward on the shaft. In doing so and then turning the engine thru - the noise was gone! I figured there MUST be some wear or notch or something amiss with the face or the valve stem and I backed off adjustment to where I could actually slide the rocker OFF of the pushrod and the valve. That way I could roll it around and SEE and FEEL the face of the arm and the top of the valve stem. Heh - BOTH looked like new! No wear, no deformity, no burrs, no nothin'. I used a fine file to put a "polish" to the arm face, thinking that if there were a low or high spot this would reveal it. Nada!
            I did NOT want to do an about face at this point and so I happened to have some hard fibre rings (one of which matched the diameter of the rocker shaft perfectly) I oiled it, slid it over the shaft so that it's held captive by the arm and the stand and reset the valve. It don't click now. I don't know why and I don't care.[:I]
            Some things that you could worry yourself about prove to be nothing at all. Like the cockeyed center main bearing that resides in the engine I just removed from Pete. When I had the lower end apart in '96, it was evident from the polish on the center main that it (the bearing shell) OR - the main seat - wasn't aligned right. I know - it DOES NOT make sense. Probably what was wrong was that the bearing shells were coated wrong or tweaked. Whatever was wrong - it had come from the factory like that.[)] After a momentary panic, I reminded myself that I'd been driving it like that for 6 years and who knows how many years it had served like that in the wrecked Cruiser I'd saved said engine from?
            In taking it apart in '96, I'd anticipated installing new main and rod bearings - it didn't NEED them. Save for the whacky wear pattern on the center main, they all looked and plastigaged nicely. I COULD HAVE put new standard shells on the center main but I didn't want to break up the set of main bearings I had. 11 years later, my call was obviously a good one. Even tho it's developed a coolant leak, the lower end's still willing to do it's job. AND, this is why I keep saying "don't just summarily throw every new part you can buy into these things". Brand X stuff - yeah - that's t

Comment

Mr.Biggs I checked out the pictures you posted and Pete is looking good!
              I have a couple engines to fix up this year, If I can find a roundtoit.

3E38
              4E2
              4E28
              5E13
              7E7
              8E7
              8E12
              8E28
              4E2
              59 Lark
              etc

Comment

Engine looks real good sittin in its new home.

63 Twin Supercharged Avanti
                64 Avanti R3w/NOS
                88LSC Avanti 350 Supercharged w/NOS

Comment

Looks great Bob. How long did the last engine work in Pete?

Comment

Almost 18 years with a ring job!

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Was that a '61 Cruiser that your previous engine came out of? The reason I ask, is the four nut valve covers. they look just like Bess'.

That's one beautiful engine Bob. The air cleaner isn't the old Rambler cleaner. Did you change your mind?

Lotsa Larks!
                      Ron Smith
                      Ron Smith

Comment

Clunk, 1959 was the last year for 4 bolt valve covers.
                        If you had a '61 Cruiser with 4 bolt valve covers , its because
                        somebody retrofitted them.

3E38
                        4E2
                        4E28
                        5E13
                        7E7
                        8E7
                        8E12
                        8E28
                        4E2
                        59 Lark
                        etc

Comment

No Clunk - it was a 64 Cruiser. The valve covers were just a ruse to make it LOOK like the '57 vintage engine that Pete would've come with.[}]
                          Just toyin' around with the air cleaner. I intend to use the Rammer unit - even bought a new element for it on Monday. One thing tho - that big air cleaner interferes with the front oil filler pipe! Pipe's gotta go I guess. Not a big deal since I have breather caps on the later type valve covers.

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Hey, Mr. Biggs! How's about that there funky curved one ya got? That might clear the air cleaner?

Lotsa Larks!
                            Ron Smith
                            Ron Smith

Comment

I DID trial fit that one, Clunk, but I didn't care for the appearance of it. It WOULD clear the Air cleaner and function alright. Now that I think of it, I'm reminded of the Johnny Cash song about the Cadillac built over a number of years - only in this case, Johnny would've worked for NUMEROUS car companies![B)]

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X