Avanti II vs. Avanti ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti II vs. Avanti ?

Does anyone know if the Avanti II used different front springs or body mounts then the 63 and 64 Avanti? I know they used a filler panel in the wheel opening, but wasn't sure if they sat higher because of the lighter engine, or if they actually built the body higher for clearance.

Avanti II's use the same springs as a Stude. The difference in rake is not frame or suspension oriented but body orientation on the frame...the filler added to the front fender wells and body insulators. While the small block Chevy is lighter, the coil springs weren't changed. The only substantial difference resulting from the weight loss is a somewhat better front/rear weight bias...not much but some.

The alleged reason for the change in body orientation was the height of the Chevy engine demanded it. I've seen whee some have taken measurements and found the Studebaker engine was higher so it may not have been necessary. If that's true (I can't say it is as I've not seen proof of it...just what some have said), it may not have have been truly necessary, but Nate Altman is on record as saying he didn't like the rake. I believe the issue of engine height may have been less due to the dimensions of the small block Chevy engine than the fact of adding the frame brackets for the small block made for a de facto increase in engine height when the engine was installed. No evidence of that...just my opinion after looking at the frame mounts and where Studebaker motor mounts installed.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Thank you, I thought that the difference was only in the fillers and insulators, but wasn't 100% sure. I only asked because there seems to be a fair bit of early Avanti II's popping up in my area at good prices, however I've always liked the 64 type better, ( I like stude power ) just wanted to see if one could be switched back to the early rake easily.

Comment

Working...
      X