I gotta problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I gotta problem

Nice and sunshiny day today so I figured I'd go work on the Lark alittle(59 4dr).I wanted to start taking off the front end and do some rust repair and it will make it easier do some of the motor work that I've got planned.So I took out the grill,then the turn signals,bumper and then started on the taking the bolts out that hold the nose of the car on.The ones on the top came out fine and the ones on the side,but when I took the tire off to get the bolt that is way up high next to the top of the fender where all you can use to get to it is a wrench,the bolt stripped and now I can't get it out.Anybody got any ideas about how I can get this bolt out besides cutting the top of the fender and then beating a smaller socket on it or drilling it out?I've tried just about everything else,that I can think of any way.The bolt is almost round now,what can I do?I'd hate to have to cut a hole in the fender just to get a bolt out.

Try useing bolt cutters or an angle grinder to cut the bold head off. If that dosen't work, you may have to drill it.

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
    Parts of the 1952 Model N
    1960s Prototype cart
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Neither one of those will fit up into the area.I'll have to post a pic of the bolt I'm talking about.There is just enough room to get a wrench.

Comment

You could lift the whole front end off as one piece and move it around for better access (which won't be much better). Vice grips?

Comment

can you use a socket? I've had fantastic luck with "bolt-outs."

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel
          --
          55 Commander Starlight

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

can you use a socket? I've had fantastic luck with "bolt-outs."

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight

Lots is positive reviews on bolt outs if you google.here they are:

http://www.nextag.com/craftsman-tool...ut/search-html

JDP Maryland
            Disclaimer:
            None of the discussions of my Studebakers are a invitation to buy nor a promotion to sell, I'm just sharing the hobby the way I practice it.
            JDP Maryland

Comment

Can't fit a socket on it only a wrench.Might try the vise grips though.For some reason I hadn't thought about that.

Comment

Hose it down with something to knock the rust loose.

Comment

I think he may be referring to the bolts holding the fender "eyebrow" to the grill panel. Not a good location.
                  "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10,
                  '51 Commander Starlight,
                  '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                  '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

quote:rockne10 Posted - 04/04/2010 : 8:11:29 PM
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    I think he may be referring to the bolts holding the fender "eyebrow" to the grill panel. Not a good location.
                    Yes that is what I'm talking about,I just didn't know exactly what it was called.

Comment

hopsBB, not sure but maybe a small makita type electric grinder with a 4" stone may reach up in there?

Joseph R. Zeiger
                      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I got them out of Tracy's 63 with a 4" grinder. I might have cut through the speed clip side, I dont remember exactly. I do remember them being a bear. Good Luck, Steve

STOLEN Studebaker!Ventura County ad says contact
                        Barry @ 805-218-3658

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...544229962.html
                        sigpic

Comment

I'll try the grinder and the vise grips in the mourning.Thanks for the help.

Comment

been there-done that- it a b***h. The last time I did it I knocked holes in the fender since it was junk & I had the header panel sold. The best tool I ever bought is my Dewalt cordless grinder with cut-off wheel.

Barry'd in Studes
                            Barry'd in Studes

Comment

Sounds like a job for Mr. Hot Wrench.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
                              X