Loss of power in OD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loss of power in OD

The latest in the saga of my 63 Project Lark with the 259 & 3-speed OD, now that I found the bad OD gears and swapped them out with good ones I took the beast for a test drive.

Through the gears went fine, onto the main road, but when it went into OD the car immediately lost power and the engine sputtered but didn't die. My first thought was I'd crossed the wires on the OD solenoid but after double checking, they were as before. I pulled into another neighborhood entrance and once out of OD, it smoothed out and I headed home. The whine is gone, but it stumbled again trying to climb a small hill to my house. Am going to replace the fuel filter for one thing.

Can you think of anything else I can check? I'm using Redline MTL in both chambers of the tranny.

what happens when you try to kick it out of OD by flooring it? I'm wondering if it is not an ignition issue caused by the OD. Just something else to think about.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Doesn't the coil get shorted out when the OD kicks in? Could it be that the part of the switching mechanism is getting stuck and still shorting the coil too long ?

Comment

I'm with Curt. Sounds like there is a wiring fault that is partially shorting out the ignition points when it is in overdrive. To test for that, you could disconnect the wire going from the points to the kickdown switch. If the car now runs fine, you have found the problem.

I'm wondering if perhaps the kickdown switch is mis-wired. There are four contacts. Of the pair CLOSEST to the switch plunger, one should go to a 12 volt source, and the other to the OD solenoid. Both those terminals should show 12 volts with the engine idling. The other pair, FURTHEST from the switch plunger, should have one terminal connected to the ignition points (or coil negative), and one going to the "grounding" terminal on the solenoid. With the engine idling, you should see "about" nine volts on the former terminal, and zero on the latter. It won't be grounded unless the solenoid is pulled in. With the car idling in the driveway, that terminal should just be "floating", neither grounded nor have power applied.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thanks Guys! I will re-check my wiring and contacts. The wierd thing is, my OD engaged fine and the engine ran well before I pulled the tranny out for repairs. Will check things today and try another test run & report back!

Comment

I developed such a problem some time after converting my '41 Commander from its original "semi electric" OD, to a long tailshafted, "fully elecric" T-86 system.

The symptom was poor starting, and a real weak spark at the points. My problem turned out to be a wire with bad insulation that occasionally touched the frame and grounded out.

Look carefully at any wiring that may have been moved or pinched or re-routed, during the trans removal/replacement.

Comment

You know that feeling after being stuck on a problem for a while, and you have an epiphany!

The light came on when I swapped out the fuel filter, which I have just before the pump, with 2" of hose at both ends. I let the engine get cold and noticed the old filter was wet, outside. Hmm, maybe i hadn't tightened the clamps enough, me thinks. Put on the new filter and ran my electric pump for a few seconds then took a look to find the NEW filter was also dripping with gas.
              Turns out the hose above the filter had a split in it. Put on a new one (that came with the G-2 filter) and no drips. Out on the road and it does great. OD works fantastic!
              Now I need a speedo pinion to replace the one my OHV-6 & OD was using...speedometer only reads up to 40 mph. Oh yeah, I did replace the rear end with a 44, too.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm an idiot.

Comment

Tom

Still I would keep an eye on the kickdown switch. I can not be the only person that has had one of these switches quit working at the wrong time.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                61 V8 Tcab
                61 Tcab 20R powered
                55 Commander Wagon
                54 Champion Wagon
                46 Gibson Model A
                50 JD MC
                If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                61 V8 Tcab
                63 Tcab 20R powered
                55 Commander Wagon
                54 Champion Wagon
                46 Gibson Model A
                50 JD MC
                45 Agricat
                67 Triumph T100
                66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

Randall - In fact, I ordered a new one from Randy Rundle just this morning.
                  My existing one is about shot.
                  Thanks man!

Comment

Working...
                  X