Modifying a R1 engine to Accept a Super Charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changes to my engine are as follows:
    [list][*]Block cleaned, magna fluxed and bored 0.030" raising displacement to God knows what cid.[*]balanced crank shaft/rotating assembly[*]replaced flat top pistons with hypereutectic pistons[*]reworked '64 heads, R3 size valves, ported heads & englarged combustion chamber area[*]Replace Carter AFB with Edelbrock AFB[*]276 deg cam shaft[*]Chryler solid lifters/shortened push rods[*]Aluminum cam gear[*]Levesque HEI ignition

That was my Hawk engine, you wont be disappointed, when I built it
    back in the early 90s it was a brute, idled nice but poke it with a
    stick and it moved out. With the TH700R4 it was bliss to drive. It
    is the head work that gets REALLY expensive.

Tom
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Shawn,

The work Tom and I have done on our engines is similar. The head work being done by a component Studebaker vendor is not cheap but when mine was ported, R3 stelite valves (for unleaded) installed the airflow through the heads was benchtop tested and was increased by 25% so if your looking for additional performance you may consider this. On the Carb if you want to keep an original carter then check with some vendors as a lot of us have been switching to Edelbrock carbs so a lot of cores should be available for rebuilding.

You may want to talk with forum member edpjr. Ed bought an Avanti that was supercharged but the engine block and heads were R1. He has spent considerable time and money but I think has the bugs worked out.

John

63R-2386 under restoration & modification
      sigpic
      John
      63R-2386
      Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

quote:I've been told that a dished piston will lower the compression about the same as R2 heads and save a ton of money in the end.
        If your short block is sound and was rebuilt 3,000 miles back, then you're getting some questionable advice above.

Heads only get expensive when you want way more performance than OEM. The R2/truck heads are plentiful on the ground thus inexpensive to buy. A freshen-up valve job is also inexpensive. By leaving the short block in the frame, pulling the heads and exchanging them, you are way less than half the price to pull the entire engine, disassemble, hone and install new pistons and rings.

Having said that, whether you keep the R1 heads and use dished pistons or go with R2 heads, you say you want a lot more performance. The best way to get that is a full build on whichever heads you decide to use - clean, shot blast, mill, R3 intake valves, R2+ springs, pocket porting. We do this for $895 on your heads.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

Hey Jack can you clarify that?

quote:The best way to get that is a full build on whichever heads you decide to use - clean, shot blast, mill, R3 intake valves, R2+ springs, pocket porting. We do this for $895 on your heads.
          Who is supplying what?

Pocket Porting? What Flow rates are you getting?

Thanks,

Allen

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible
          Oakville, Ontario.
          Hamilton Chapter

1964 GT Hawk
          PSMCDR 2014
          Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
          PSMCDR 2013
          Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I have oil leaking from the rear main seal so I've already pulled the block. Seem's like it would be a great opportunity to change out the pistons and address any other issues there might be when the seal is being replaced.
            I realize a year ago there was a gentleman supplying R3 clone parts but he has since left the scene. Where would you get them now?

Is there a performance difference between the Edelbrock and the Carter carbs? Does the Edelbrock not come sealed like the Carter?

Thanks
            -Shaun

Comment

quote:Hey Jack can you clarify that?
              quote:The best way to get that is a full build on whichever heads you decide to use - clean, shot blast, mill, R3 intake valves, R2+ springs, pocket porting. We do this for $895 on your heads.
              Who is supplying what? Pocket Porting? What Flow rates are you getting?
              The $895 is your heads, all cleaned, new 1.875" R3-size intake valves, new heavy duty truck standard exhaust valves, hard exhaust seats and guides and new R2+ springs.

The pocket porting fits the R3 intakes to the bowl and matches up the hard exhaust seats to the bowl.

I haven't put these heads on a flow bench, as they are for mild street/strip builds. As Mike Van Veghten can attest, a full porting job on a flow bench is another $2000 in labor alone.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
              PackardV8

Comment

The only issue with the Edelbrock carb is that there are a limited number of bonnets that fit. If the car is an Avanti the enclosure would be necessary because there are no bonnets that I know of on the market that will allow the hood to close. The original will not fit the e Carb. If it's not an Avanti than therte are bonnets available that may work and the enclosure wouldn't be necessary.

ErnieR

1988 "Beater" Avanti---R2 R5388 @ Macungie 2006

Comment

Nick Berger of Westminster, Ca (owner of a '63 avanti named christine) runs his r2 with a new edelbrock carb........he modified the bonnet to fit the ecarb..........contact him for all the details.

Comment

Where can I get a new Edelbrock and enclosure for $600.00????

Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

Contact nick berger @ 714-892-0459...he will fill you in.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Laemmle

Nick Berger of Westminster, Ca (owner of a '63 avanti named christine) runs his r2 with a new edelbrock carb........he modified the bonnet to fit the ecarb..........contact him for all the details.
                        How can that work? The R2 carb has a channel carved out on the base of the carb to create a vacuum seal to prevent the throttle shaft from leaking during boost.

The only way that I know of using a non-R2 carb, is to use the R3 bonnet.

========================
                        63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
                        Martinez, CA

Comment

Don't ask me...........call Nick.

Comment

Working...
                          X