Modifying a R1 engine to Accept a Super Charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifying a R1 engine to Accept a Super Charger

I have a Avanti R1 engine that I'm in the process of modifying to accept a Supercharger, and obtain a bit more power. I've decided to replace the pistons to reduce the compression ratio. What are other things I should be thinking about doing at this point? What is the difference between the R1 and R2 carburetors? What carburetor am I better off with? I'm a little new to this and have gotten great help here that has gotten me to this point. Any help would be fantastic.

Thanks
    -Shaun

One other thing, what should I expect to pay for a R-2 Carb?

Thanks
    -Shaun

Comment

An R2 Carb will go for about $500. It may or may not require a rebuild for that price.

sals54
      sals54

Comment

just so you're aware, the factory lowered the CR by using different head castings, not by changing the pistons.

Which is preferable, I couldn't say. I would think the factory way would be better due to more "squish," but I've also heard tell that the semi-dish pistons work well.

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Just FYI:

http://tinyurl.com/ylyk2qx

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
          Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Thanks for the link Bob,
            What would you say one in that condition is worth? Does one
            need a R2 carb?

Thanks
            Shaun

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Just FYI:

http://tinyurl.com/ylyk2qx

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Yes, you'll need an R2 carb. It needs to be the sealed type to handle the blower.

The linked one just sold for $1,026. That's probably the high end as to cost.

Chances are somebody here will have one to offer, or a source. Otherwise watch eBay and check with Fairborn and Dave Thibeault.

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

I know for a fact that the new edelbrock afb will work with paxton blowers with no ill effect.

Comment

I know for a fact that the new edelbrock afb will work with paxton blowers with no ill effect.

Comment

Assuming the engine doesn't need to be rebuilt anyway I would not change pistons but either acquire R2 heads or have someone rework my heads not only to decrease compression but to increse flow etc. It is a rare instance when you can just change pistons. A re-bore may be necessary and it would be silly not to replace rod and main bearings while everything is out along with a crank rebuild and maybe a cam, cam bearings and lifters etc., etc. If money is no object or a rebuild is necessary you would end up with a rebuilt engine that is blower ready.

Not a bad thing but with some head work and thick head gaskets you could lower the compression and gain additional performance for a lot less than a complete rebuild.

As far as the carb...

Since you could spend 1,000+ on an original R2 carb instead buy an Edelbrock 1406 and adapt it to fit the manifold ( easy ) and buy a carb enclosure. You would spend under $600(est) for the carb and enclosure gaining a modern, and in my experience, better performing carb. Even with the original carb you would either need to purchase a bonnet or an enclosure so go with the Edelbrock and save $6-700 in the process.

IMHO.

ErnieR

quote:Originally posted by jenovi

I have a Avanti R1 engine that I'm in the process of modifying to accept a Supercharger, and obtain a bit more power. I've decided to replace the pistons to reduce the compression ratio. What are other things I should be thinking about doing at this point? What is the difference between the R1 and R2 carburetors? What carburetor am I better off with? I'm a little new to this and have gotten great help here that has gotten me to this point. Any help would be fantastic.

Thanks
                    -Shaun

1988 "Beater" Avanti---R2 R5388 @ Macungie 2006

Comment

Couldnt you just use an R3 type enclosure and the original carb?

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by sbca96

Couldnt you just use an R3 type enclosure and the original carb?

DOH!!!!

ErnieR

Comment

With the repops drying up, what is the going rate for R3 boxes?

Jim
                          Often in error, never in doubt

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing
                          Jim
                          Often in error, never in doubt
                          http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks
                            -Shaun

Thanks
                            -Shaun

Shaun,

I've just finished with the rebuild and conversion of my Avanti R1 to engine specs that are between a R2 and a R3 engine.

Changes to my engine are as follows:
                            • Block cleaned, magna fluxed and bored 0.060" raising displacement to 299 cid.
                            • balanced crank shaft
                            • replaced flat top pistons with hypereutectic pistons
                            • reworked R1 heads, R3 size valves, ported heads & englarged combustion chamber area
                            • Replace Carter AFB with Edelbrock AFB (only thing needed for supercharging is to internally seal carb pump)
                            • 276 deg cam shaft
                            • aluminum intake manifold
                            • R3 exhaust headers
                            • Mopar HEI ignition
                            • rebuilt Paxton SN60

John

63R-2386 under restoration & modification
                            sigpic
                            John
                            63R-2386
                            Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

My engine has about 3,000 miles on a rebuild done a few years back. The engine actually runs great. Problem is there isn't enough power for me. I've had to pull the body, so figured it would be the best time to go back into the motor and update some things. I've been told that a dished piston will lower the compression about the same as R2 heads and save a ton of money in the end. I haven't really considered another model of carb but would like to keep a stock look if possible.

Thanks
                              -Shaun

Comment

Working...
                              X