rough ride 62 hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rough ride 62 hawk

Seems the back end of the car has no suspension.
    Very rough, feel every bump. Where do I start or what do I need to replace.
    Shocks, leaf springs?

Shocks should just dampen spring rebound, keeps it from bouncing around. Is the back end very low? How long have you had the car, has it always been like this?

Comment

quote:Seems the back end of the car has no suspension.
      Very rough, feel every bump.
      1. How much distance between the rubber bumper on the frame and the rear axle?
      2. Have you replaced the rubber bushings in the leaf spring eyes?
      3. Have you removed the shocks and had someone who knows what they should feel like check their dampening?
      4. How many leaves in the rear springs?

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

Does not appear to be low. Just got it running so I have nothing to copare it to. I just know when I hit a bump you feel it like there is no cush. There is no bounce.
        quote:Originally posted by doug

Shocks should just dampen spring rebound, keeps it from bouncing around. Is the back end very low? How long have you had the car, has it always been like this?

Comment

Nothing has been replace. I will have to get under the car a check out the other info. Thanks for giving me hints on what to look for.
          [quote]quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

Seems the back end of the car has no suspension.
          Very rough, feel every bump.[/quot

1. How much distance between the rubber bumper on the frame and the rear axle?
          2. Have you replaced the rubber bushings in the leaf spring eyes?
          3. Have you removed the shocks and had someone who knows what they should feel like check their dampening?
          4. How many leaves in the rear springs?

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8

Comment

real high tire pressures can add noticeable harshness.

The 195 70-14 snow tires on my old Volvo are downright plush compared to the 195-60-15 BF Goodrich radial TA's I use for 3 seasons.

Comment

As Packard said would check my rear spring bushings, you can see the lowers easily, if the rubber insert looks bad or squished off to one side BOTH rear spring bushings and both upper frame bushings need to be replaced. That helped my 62 Hawk a lot as one had gone metal to metal, no rubber at all in one of them. Lou Cote [8D]

Comment

also sometimes shocks can "freeze" giving you a really rough ride. Had a new front do that "out of the box" on my '55. just something else to check.

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I go with checking the air pressure in the tires ...or what condition are the tires in ? I'm running E-78's that are 15 years old and been sitting for 10+ years...I expect your or similar symptoms....lol...

Comment

Working...
                  X