Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Removing the motor from the trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing the motor from the trans

I have the motor and trans out of the car, how do I separate the motor from the trans? What do I do to the converter?

Studebakers forever!
    Studebakers forever!

Just remove the for big transmission bolts and you can pull the transmission. Then you can take off the bell housing and torque converter.

64 Commander 2 dr.
    64 Daytona HT
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert
    63 Lark 2 door
    63 Lark 2 door #2
    62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
    62 Lark 2 door
    62 GT Hawk 4 speed
    60 Lark HT
    60 Hawk
    59 3E truck
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

so you are saying that the converter is contained inside of the trans, unlike a chevy where you have to remove the converter bolts from the flywheel?

Studebakers forever!
      Studebakers forever!

Comment

Unlike a Chevy, the Borg-Warner transmission case and bellhousing are two different parts, so you can service it like a stickshift. The converter does bolt to the flexplate like you'd expect.

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I removed the trans and torgue converter and bell housing. I removed the 8 bolts and thought I could just pull the trans off, When you guy's give instructions It sounds simple enough After I removed the 8 bolts I had to go back and remove the 4 as JDP said, the trans came right off, then I took a wench and removed the converter from the crank and the converter came off, The bell housing, the converter and the trans are at the local trans shop.He said he will take it apart to see if anything was wrong with the trans and rebuild th converter. I asked him to clean the bell housing and paint it.Question should I replace the trans mounts? They are not broken or wouldn't I be able to tell?

Studebakers forever!
          Studebakers forever!

Comment

The rear engine mounts get mushy and soft from oil soaking and usually the right side is worse. Unless they have been recently replaced, I would just change em. It never makes sense to save a buck, and cost yourself many hours of work or labor charges to re-do things later! [^]

I, and the other Stude. vendors have em at: studebakervendors.com To make a quick link out of this, you add the http://www. in front, or go to the SDC homepage and use their link to it.

StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Yes, all those mounts are soft, I saw some parts that had rubber on them on the floor after we pull the motor/trans out, don't know what they went to. It's gonna be a treat to detail that engine and chasis compartment.I got to get my eastwood book out!

Studebakers forever!
              Studebakers forever!

Comment

Working...
              X