Which wheel cylinders is which?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which wheel cylinders is which?

I need to replace the rear wheel cylinders on my 7E Champ. The VIN is: E7-16913 Model:7E7-122

Now, I don't really know much about brakes and get confused rather easily. So, are the below pictured brakes 'self-centering' or not? I would say not, but am very insecure on the point.[:I][8)] Anyway, I need to know as I'm ordering new W.C.s from S.I. in the next day or so.

Now, for the pundits who will point out that there's no jack stands, you're quite right... sort of. I don't need them as the jack itself is one. However, if I was underneath the truck, I'd still likely put in the stands.

K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Find the brake adjustment procedure before you start as it is different than cars. You have to adjust each shoe. Make sure all the adjusters are free.

I know where Lewiston is.

Comment

They are the same type rear brakes used on the Avanti and are self-centering.

Bob Langer
      Glenshaw,PA

Bob Langer
      Glenshaw,PA

Comment

You have early style T cab non self energizing non self centering brakes. They still work fine you just have to adjust each shoe so that it cams out using the bolt one each backside of the backing plate. TH eonly down side is that you will have to adjust your brakes a bit more often.....no big deal.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
        64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
        61 V8 Tcab
        61 Tcab 20R powered
        55 Commander Wagon
        54 Champion Wagon
        46 Gibson Model A
        50 JD MC
        If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
        64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
        61 V8 Tcab
        63 Tcab 20R powered
        55 Commander Wagon
        54 Champion Wagon
        46 Gibson Model A
        50 JD MC
        45 Agricat
        67 Triumph T100
        66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

quote:They are the same type rear brakes used on the Avanti and are self-centering.
          It is my understanding that this type of brake, with the fixed anchor at the bottom, is the "non-self centering". The more common type, which is free to float and adjust at the bottom, is self centering.

The fixed anchor type is also referred to as "non-self energizing". As noted above, each shoe must be adjusted individually. Am I mistaken?

Jim Bradley
          Lewistown PA
          '78 Avanti II
          Jim Bradley
          Lake Monticello, VA
          '78 Avanti II
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X