carb kits and quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb kits and quality

I know we have many vendors helping us keep our cars on the road, and I'd prefer to support them, but I also want a good quality rebuild kit. Are they all pretty much good kits, or does one brand or vendor have a better one? This is for my OHV 6 with <sigh> a Carter RBS <sigh again> And the acc pump has shrunk, and the metering rod diaphragm is cracked <SIGH, SIGH, and SIGH again>

Ron Dame
    '63 Champ
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

If authenticity is not an issue, you can replace that "piece of RBS" with one of the earlier flathead carbs.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by skyway

If authenticity is not an issue, you can replace that "piece of RBS" with one of the earlier flathead carbs.
      I've not had as many problems with the RBS that others apparently have, yet that does not mean I love it. Is the AS really that much better? I don't mind it not being original at all, but what I don't want is something that looks out of place, like the Weber 2bbl with the rectangular air cleaner, despite how good it is supposed to be.

NOw back to the kits...any brand better than another?

Ron Dame
      '63 Champ
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

Ya know, I just checked my maintenance log, and was surprised (partly at my bad memory) but this RBS was a Delco remanufactured unit I got on eBay. It has a rebushed throttle shaft even, and it's been on the truck for just over 10 years..and only now is needing a kit. I guess I should not complain.

Still need a kit though.

quote:Originally posted by Ron Dame

I know we have many vendors helping us keep our cars on the road, and I'd prefer to support them, but I also want a good quality rebuild kit. Are they all pretty much good kits, or does one brand or vendor have a better one? This is for my OHV 6 with <sigh> a Carter RBS <sigh again> And the acc pump has shrunk, and the metering rod diaphragm is cracked <SIGH, SIGH, and SIGH again>

Ron Dame
        '63 Champ
        Ron Dame
        '63 Champ
        Ron Dame
        '63 Champ

Comment

My only tidbit would be to rebuild both the carb and the fuel pump with kits that are alcohol gas rated (rubber wise)...
          Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
          Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Ok...exactly my concern ?? Who has the correct parts that won't (maybe) disintegrate with the new gas...? Certainly not some vendors with NOS stuff..? How do you know if you go down to NAPA you're not getting old mis-matched rubber ...???

Comment

Could one buy a new pump for a 289 and change out the housig from an R2 pump and use it on an R2?
              Allen

Comment

Working...
              X