Stuck engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck engine

I'm trying to help a friend free-up a stuck commander engine in a 47 starlite couple. Normal soaking has not freed it as yet. I have heard of using Coca-cola for really stuck ones. Anyone know of its success? We've used a hefty bar and socket but no luck as yet.

Mike, try the search function here on the Forum. There have been a number of threads where this has been discussed.

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I tried the "search" a couple of times with exact words or any words and no luck. Search timed out. Re-booted and tried again and timed out once more without results. Maybe their are so many threads or server is busy so I will try later or google "stuck engine" I know there are a lot of methods, just wondered if anyone had success with Coke.

Comment

I have had good luck just removing all the spark plugs and soaking the cylinders with a penatrating oil.Let it sit a few days and try rocking the crank front bolt back and forth you should feel a slight movement doing that,if any of the spark plugs are covered with rust you might have water in that cylinder and that will be real hard to get loose with out complete disasembly

John T Butts jr

Comment

I used Kroil to free mine up. Tried almost all the commercial stuff out there such as Blaster, WD40, Liquid Wrench. Nothing worked until I used Kroil. It was just a pencil lead line of rust on one cylinder.

But lately folks have been touting the mix of 1/2 ATF and 1/2 Acetone.

1963 Avanti R2
          Marshall, VA
          John
          1963 Avanti R2
          Marshall, VA

Comment

Remove the plugs. Fill the cylinders with a 50/50 mixture
            of trans. fluid and acetone. Remove the starter, and after
            2 or three days use a pry bar in the starter opening on the
            flywheel teeth. only move a tad at a time, one way and then
            the other, till free, then turn all the way around. Works
            for me.

Tex in Alabama

Makin' a little progress

Comment

mdelapp, what flashback said. I just did a "sitting for years" F##d flathead, and on the 3rd morning it broke loose bits at a time and after lubing a bit, started right up. Smoked of course, but it came unstuck and smoked less each time it has been run and the last time I started it, it only puffed a bit at start-up, none while running. I had tried lots of other things on several other engines in my time, but nothing worked this good. JB

Comment

I too used the same method as flashback and it worked. One word of caution.......put a huge pan or bucket under the oil pan. The mixture can fill the oil pan and leak onto the floor. Best of luck.

58 Packards
                62 & 63 Larks

Comment

And don't forget to drain the pan before trying to start it. You've replaced the oil with something pretty thin.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                  Tom Bredehoft
                  '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                  '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                  ....On the road, again....
                  '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                  All Indiana built cars

Comment

Ironically this problem was addressed in the latest Turning Wheels. Check the Co Operator column.

Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                    Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I used a 50/50 mixture of diesel fuel and motor oil in mine. It was turing free after about 3 days.
                      Wayne
                      "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

On a flathead, I always pull the head so you can better see what's going on, and check for stuck valves.

JDP Maryland
                        Disclaimer:
                        None of the discussions of my Studebakers are a invitation to buy nor a promotion to sell, I'm just sharing the hobby the way I practice it.
                        JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
                        X