Hawk window removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk window removal

This week I have to remove the front windshield and rear window of my Packard Hawk. I've done it several times with C-cab trucks, but this looks a little more complicated. Not sure if I can use the same rubber or not for the re-install. I would appreciate any advice on removal and re-install. Thanks for any help.

Larry Y
    North Wales, PA
    Larry Y
    North Wales, PA

This shouldn't be to difficult to do. I would cut the gasket from the inside with utility knife to remove the window and order new gasket from Studebaker International. Use the windshield installation instructions in Studebaker Shop Manual to reinstall.

Comment

Installation is not so bad, but as per avanti76's advice,I've always removed them by cutting.

If you want to have a chance to reuse yours consider hiring the removal done. Here in St. Louis, the "good" glass guys will "zip" one in and out for about $50. You'd want to ask the local body shops to recommend somebody.

Comment

If that's the original gasket, you would much better off with a new one.

Terry

Comment

Has anyone had any problems with the reproduction rubber. Someone told me they don't fit right. I would rather use new.

Larry Y
          North Wales, PA
          Larry Y
          North Wales, PA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by larryyano

Has anyone had any problems with the reproduction rubber. Someone told me they don't fit right. I would rather use new.

Larry Y
            North Wales, PA
            I got new gaskets for front and rear. The front I got from Fennessy in Nashville. Fit like a glove. Rear gasket was from another Stude. sourse. Very poor fit very loose and puckered.
            Fennessey is in Turning Wheels back business card file.

John Ratliff

Comment

unless the rubber is new , then cut it from the in side and take window out with the trim, don't pull on the trim at all, when you cut the rubber be sure to cut it up as close as you can to the sharp metal edge that it rolls over, when storing the glass don't lay it down set it on a soft area with bottom edge down front one is not as bad as the back if you lay it on either flat side it can warp and might never get it back in, also book states it takes 3 men to install rear, and it does, good luck..Bob

Candbstudebakrs
              Castro Valley,
              California

Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

I hired someone to install the original front and rear glass after a nice windshield cracked (one of the 2 panes) broke on my lap as I was installing the stainless. (Stainless in gasket before installation.) Installation much easier with 2-3 people, especially if you want it neatly in. Requires a light rope on the inside to install, which is pulled of to lift the gasket over the lip.

Some gaskets were made too large - I would think most are correct now.

Comment

Thanks to all. Today I'll be removing the glass. I think I'll cut the rubber. Thanks for the tip on storing the glass as I'm waiting for the headliner, wind lace and dashpad. I've used Bill Fennessey in the past and had no problems.

Larry Y
                  North Wales, PA
                  Larry Y
                  North Wales, PA

Comment

Removed the glass today without cutting the rubber. It was a lot easier than I expected. Found a little rust we have to fix. Thanks again for the advice.

Larry Y
                    North Wales, PA
                    Larry Y
                    North Wales, PA

Comment

While your at this stage take a look under the top of the windshield area where the stainless drip rail is. There is always rust under there that nobody ever looks for as it is only about 3/8 of an inch and hidden by the stainless window trim and very awkward to bend your neck to look up and in for it. As far as installation goes. I had and recommend having a company that does windshields to come out and install yours. For the amount of effort you are putting into this car and it looks like you are doing a great job, spend the $100 to $150 and let them be responsible for the glass and not bending or scratching the stainless around the windshield. In my case they came one day and did the installation, but they felt it did not look quite right and came back a day later and did adjustments. There was no extra charges for coming back.

Comment

That's a good point. I'll be sure to check that area for rust. Installing the rear window looks worse than the front. Once I get the headliner in, I'll have to decide if I'll install the glass myself or call someone.

Larry Y
                        North Wales, PA
                        Larry Y
                        North Wales, PA

Comment

Working...
                        X