Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Flanged axle-bearing removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flanged axle-bearing removal?

I just got a nice pair of flanged axles, but I don't have the later shop manual. How does one get the bearings off to change the oil seal??
    Thanks,
    Bruce Newell

You have to have a heavy duty bearing separator. A 8" to 10" piece of pipe about a foot long and a minimum of a 20 tom hydraulic press. If you don't have these take it to an auto repair shop and have them press them off for you. Most shops charge about $10 apiece to remove them. If you do it yourself be sure to have a piece of metal or plywood about 4' square to put between yourself and the axle, I have had old rusted on bearings come apart and spray balls everywhere.

Comment

Take the axles to an automotive machine shop. They can press the bearings off and on. I would go ahead and put new bearings on while you are changing the seals. They are relatively inexpensive. Pack them well with a good bearing grease when you install the axles.

Jim Bradley
      Lewistown PA
      '78 Avanti II
      Jim Bradley
      Lake Monticello, VA
      '78 Avanti II
      sigpic

Comment

Bruce,

A note of caution........don't know WHICH flanged axle you have, but the one on my Avanti proved to be a very difficult one to find both the bearings and seals, now since this was a NOS unit we were able to reuse both, however the rebuilder, a fellow out here in San Diego who does work for Leno and groups, could not find replacement units. Do you have the replacements yet? If this is a 64-65 Dana 44 and you have the bearings and seals, can you share your source?

Comment

You will not find any bearing manufacturer that will tell you it is OK to use the 'marriage ring' over again.

quote:Originally posted by HNCadet

Bruce,
          A note of caution........don't know WHICH flanged axle you have, but the one on my Avanti proved to be a very difficult one to find both the bearings and seals, now since this was a NOS unit we were able to reuse both, <snip>
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

These are model 27 axles, the SDC member I bought them from is also converting his '64 over, so we both have to figure this out. Thanks for the advice guys, hopefully the parts will be available if needed.

Comment

Get the numbers from the old bearings, and contact a bearing supply house. They should be able to cross reference the numbers and get you the right bearings.

Jim Bradley
              Lewistown PA
              '78 Avanti II
              Jim Bradley
              Lake Monticello, VA
              '78 Avanti II
              sigpic

Comment

65-66 44 and 27 share the same flange axle. The bearing cone number is 14131A. These seem to be difficult to locate but the timken catalog list it now(?) There are several numbers that are dimensionally the same differing only in the bore radius.(the small taper part at the beginning of the bore).,14130,14130X,14131 14131A. If I remember correctly the 131 may have radius on opposite end of bore from the 131A. I assume the radius makes bearing easier to start on shaft. The retainers have a Timken number on them but I could find no one who could do anything with the number. Stephen Allen had these a couple years back so who acquired his stock possibly still has a few. Since originally I could not find a listing for 14131A and they now appear in Timken catalog perhaps the retainers may now be available . I could not find a seal that was a direct match.

I

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

You will not find any bearing manufacturer that will tell you it is OK to use the 'marriage ring' over again.

Didn't have to remove them, since the axle was NOS and still packed in factory grease, we just checked compliance on the (leather)seal and ran the axle in the bearing checking for any debris(varmints & critters)........regreased and went on our way.

and yes, it's not a good idea to re-press the bearing off & on again, but I understand that some here may do that.................shhhhhh!

Comment

Let's back up a bit.

If my failing memory serves, there is an oil seal pressed into the axle housing, inboard of the bearing. Its function is to seal on the axle shaft and keep the gear lube in. The bearing itself is grease lubricated by manually packing it. The seal on the outboard side of the bearing is more of a dust seal to keep brake dust out of the bearing. Correct?

If the existing bearings are good, I would be inclined to clean them thoroughly and re-pack them. I would check the inner oil seal for condition and replace if necessary. Unless the outer seals were really bad, I don't think that I would be too concerned about them. Wipe a thin film of bearing grease where they ride on the shaft.

If it ain't broke...

Jim Bradley
                    Lewistown PA
                    '78 Avanti II
                    Jim Bradley
                    Lake Monticello, VA
                    '78 Avanti II
                    sigpic

Comment

You need to replace both inner and outer seals otherwise the grease you pack in the bearing will seep past the old outer seals. Since you are going to all this work you might as well tap in some zerc fittings to make the job of keeping the outer bearings packed much easier.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                      64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                      61 V8 Tcab
                      61 Tcab 20R powered
                      55 Commander Wagon
                      54 Champion Wagon
                      46 Gibson Model A
                      50 JD MC
                      If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                      64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                      61 V8 Tcab
                      63 Tcab 20R powered
                      55 Commander Wagon
                      54 Champion Wagon
                      46 Gibson Model A
                      50 JD MC
                      45 Agricat
                      67 Triumph T100
                      66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment