Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

62 Hawk gas gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 Hawk gas gauge

Hi guys, once again I am in need of some information. I can't seem to get my gas gauge to work properly. I just replaced the sending unit (purchased from SI), but can't get the gauge to read right. I tested the dash meter and it works as described in the shop manual. After getting the tank back on the car, I put in 4 gallons of gas and the meter moved up to the empty mark. I put in another 4 gallons and the meter went up to 1/4 mark. I then took the car out for a drive and the meter stayed at 1/4. The next day I took the car out again and the meter never went past the empty mark. So I put in another 4 gallons and the meter went back up to 1/4 mark. I figure I have at least 10 gallons left in the tank, but the meter only goes to the empty line. Any ideas??????? Thanks for your help.

Rudy Korb
    62 GT Hawk

You sure that the tank is grounded properly? Also, might look at the wire to the sending unit, and see if it is shorted (grounding) somewhere along the way. Make sure the gauge housing is grounded well. Just a few thoughts from experience.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I made sure the sending unit and the tank were well grounded. The connector for the sending unit is located in a wire harness behind the license plate. According to the service manual, to test the dash gage, disconnect the wire from the sending unit and turn on the key. The gauge should move up to the empty line. Mine does this. Ground the connector, turn on the key and the gage should read full. Mine does this. So based on this test I ASSUME the dash gage to be grounded and functioning properly. That leaves the wire from the sending unit to the connector, and the sending unit. This dash gage is very slow responding to any change made in the hookup. The manual says the gage is a delayed-action, single wire system. To this there is no doubt. Mine is very slow responding. So, what am I missing??? Could the dash gage ground be faulty?? Is there some sort of resistor in this circuit that could be acting up. I know 1 wire from the dash gage goes to the ignition switch, but from there I have no idea where it goes. Any thoughts?? Thanks again.

Rudy Korb

Comment

Comment

Thanks for the advice. When I put in the new sending unit I replaced the wire, so it is good. I sanded the 3 mounting areas of the tank and the brackets on the body to make sure I had a good ground. I also cleaned all surfaces and screws on the sending unit. The only place I have not personally grounded is the dash gage.
          When you turn the key on, the gage moves from below the empty line up to the line (after awhile that is). According to the circuit test, this indicates an open in the line somewhere. If the circuit were to be grounded, the dash gage should read full. I'm almost positive that if I were to add more gas to the tank, the dash gage would register above empty as it has done in the past. But the next time you drive the car the gage reads empty. Have I really confused everyone by now?? If you would like to talk with me, I'd be pleased to explain more clearly. My cell is 479-531-6600. Thanks again.

Comment

Beautiful GT. the '62's are my favorite.
            Hope you don't mind if I post a link to your pictures?
            http://s926.photobucket.com/albums/a...debaker002.jpg

Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

[/URL]

Comment

I have never found the Temp. or the Fuel Gauges to work in a reasonable length of time or accurately, without the engine running to get full charging voltage, rather than static Battery voltage.

StudeRich
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Is your gas gauge reading like it did before you got the new sender? The reason for asking is that it sounds like you have done most things to ensure your gauge works properly and I'm wondering if the problem may be your new sender is not working correctly. I explained how to check the sender in my previous post to you.

Comment

after I installed my new gas tank and sending unit from SI I ran into a similar situation. First i ran a dedicated grounding line. No matter what I did to clean up the three screws, several on here suggested it. Then It would seem to move/read but not what i expected based on the amount in the tank. I then discovered the float was not travelleing the expected distance. The rod was too staright and with some 'fine tuning" to bend the rod for the float I finally found out my particular problem. been working great since.

Comment

Thanks one and all for your advice. I think I will start from the beginning with the removal of the sending unit and checking all grounds and wiring. If this dosen't work, I'll be back on the forum.

Rudy Korb

Comment

Keep us up-dated on what you find or don't find please.

Comment

Yahoo!!!!!!! The gas gage is finally working as it should. I started from scratch, didn't add anything new, but checked the gounds at each step of the way. Must have had an unknown grounding problem that corrected itself during reassembly. Whatever, it now works. Thanks to all for your assistance, what a great forum.

Rudy Korb
                          Rogers, Arkansas

Comment

Working...
                          X