Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

100% Neetsfoot Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100% Neetsfoot Oil

I noticed a mention in the Studebaker Co-Operator of a mail order source for Neetsfoot Oil. Most people in the US have no need to mail-order Neetsfoot Oil. All one has to do is visit the local tack or feed store. This is a product that's very popular with the horse-keeping set. Must've used a few hundred gallons of it myself over the years(LOL). It's great for any leather preservation use. My previous studebakers had quadra-horse power and required regular use of the product. Here's a picture of my 1896 Studebaker Myopia Break, taken by the original owner between 1896 and 1900 or so:

Went through gallons of the stuff yearly for this thing. Had to clean a lot of harness. At one time I had StudeBAKERS instead of studeclunkers.

Sorry, Damien the demon possessed mouse went nuts and logged off my entire system, crashing my computer. This prevented me from inserting the picture. I have to get a new mouse.

1986, 1896, I never was good with dates...[:I]

Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

You ever notice how those old timers always looked so grim when their photo was taken? Apparently life wasn't so grand after all!

Comment

Trust me, for the two grooms and the Cock-horse rider pictured, life wasn't very nice. Now the owner of the Break had life by the tail!

Lotsa Larks!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Neetsfoot Oil is also what is used to break in a baseball glove. And Spring Training is under way...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I'm still unsure if Neetsfoot oil should be used in a recently re-built Hydrovac, as you would think that the rebuilders aren't still using leather for the seals and might be using a more modern material. Neetsfoot oil might not be such a good lubricant for the new material(s) and might react with and maybe even destroy them. Does anyone know anythng about this and does anyone know where I can get a rebuild kit for a Hydrovac? No one seems to want to sell rebuild parts, only rebuilt units, supposedly because of liability issues.

Mike with Speedster

Comment

quote:Originally posted by motive

I'm still unsure if Neetsfoot oil should be used in a recently re-built Hydrovac, as you would think that the rebuilders aren't still using leather for the seals and might be using a more modern material. Neetsfoot oil might not be such a good lubricant for the new material(s) and might react with and maybe even destroy them. Does anyone know anythng about this and does anyone know where I can get a rebuild kit for a Hydrovac? No one seems to want to sell rebuild parts, only rebuilt units, supposedly because of liability issues.

Mike with Speedster
            It's probably safer to sell a rebuilt unit then you know it's 100% OK. Contact JDP as he rebuilds Hydrovac units and can advise you further.

John Clements
            Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
            Lockleys South Australia
            John Clements
            Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Working...
            X