How to remove SS rocker trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove SS rocker trim

I am removing trim, fenders, rockers etc. in preparation for stripping and repainting my 51 LC. I do not have a body or chassis manual yet so I am figuring things out as I go and taking lots of pictures.

So far, so good, with only one broken bumper bolt and the loss of skin from only one knuckle. The only non-surface rust I have encountered so far has been at the bottom of the rear fenders (which was evident from the exterior).

However, I can't see how the SS rocker trim is attached to the rockers. My car is undercoated so perhaps the attachment points are buried under the lumpy stuff!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers!

"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada
    \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada

I don't know about yours. But mine nuts and washers on the inside. Try to be easy with the clips they are expensive. On mine there is 6 or 7 on each side.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2

Studebaker Diners Club

Comment

Go here:

Then to page 128 of the catalog to see typical rocker strip fasteners.

For installation, he rocker stainless strip is "hung" on the upper tab and then snapped over the lower tab. The rocker strips are very tough, thick (for stainless)metal and will tolerate some prying --- but the fasteners may get distorted or break if they are rusty. Its safer to undo the nuts from the back if you can find them. Probably a 3/8 or 7/16 socket needed and the fastener post may twist off.

I didn't see the clips listed in Studebaker International's catalog but if you have the part number they may have them.
      The part number MIGHT be 289138 but the manual is unclear to me. They list them as 12 required per car.

If you get desperate and try prying I would do it from the upper edge, not the lower edge. The strip is tough and will tolerate quite a bit of muscle.

Lark Parker

Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.
      sigpic
      Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Now that I think about it, I remember Harbit's 51 had (square?)coin size holes in the sheet metal that the back of the clips fit into.
          The ends of the strips had filler plates that didn't attach to the body.
          I never put the rear plate in because it was so close to the slick I thought leaving the plate out was safer than maybe having it come out at 130mph into the slick.

Sorry my memory isn't better on this.

LP
          sigpic
          Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Working...
          X