Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where are all the Carter WCFB/AFB 4-bbls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are all the Carter WCFB/AFB 4-bbls?

Seems as if every third thread for the past umphteen years has been some variation of "How do I put an Edelbrock on it?" Since all those 4-bbl intakes came with a carb on them, why do we never see the OEM carbs offered for sale at core prices?

Right now, I need two WCFBs and none are to be found. (FWIW, one of our members here who has more than once written how the WCFBs are hopeless junk and toss them for an Edelbrock, offered me that junk for $150 ) Not gonna happen.

Bottom line any used WCFB/AFB probably needs a complete rebuild and that done right can run into big bucks. Daytona Carburetor's last quote was $450. I'm glad to pay reasonable core prices and that HEAVY cast iron shipping cost. PM me what you've got, a photo is good, and how much you want for it.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
    PackardV8

Jack, what in your opinion is a "reasonable core price" for a Stude AFB and WCFB?
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Jack, email sent to you.

Joseph R. Zeiger
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

With real estate, it's "location, location, location."

With carb cores, it's "condition, condition, condition." I recently walked away from a corroded-rusted-solid WCFB for $10 because those which have been sitting on the ground or in unheated sheds for a while are often unrepairable. I just paid $100 for a clean one off a running car.

A FWIW story - a while back a local Stude hoarder had three WCFB cores I had been trying to buy from him for years. Just knowing someone wanted what he had seemed to give him more satisfaction than a few bucks would have. He passed away and his children gathered for one mammoth cleanup weekend. They didn't bother to call anyone in the local Stude community and the carbs went to the scrap yard with hundreds of pounds of rusty, greasy but usable core cams, cranks and engines. They just wanted the house and garage cleaned and on the market in one weekend.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

Come on Jack..you know where they went.

The crusher, with most of the rest of the 50's and 60's cars.
          And like you say, it costs a small fortune to have the surfaces brought back and the throttle shafts and bores fixed.

On the H.A.M.B. board, there's a 57 Hawk for sale with a Stude engine...and a 750 carburetor...
          Talk about soggy throttle response.

I'm gonna put a Dominator on my 299....if I ever get it done...!

Mike

Comment

I'd say $100. is a good price.....Now, here's another serious question..for 2 reasons. So you (I) buy a used WCFB,AFB,WW,or AS. Then I buy a nice kit for it. Is the kit compatible with today's gas ? Are these kits being re-popped for today's gas ? If I have a 25K original survivor that runs great..how long will it be before my carb is toast due to old gas in an original carb...???

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

Seems as if every third thread for the past umphteen years has been some variation of "How do I put an Edelbrock on it?" Since all those 4-bbl intakes came with a carb on them, why do we never see the OEM carbs offered for sale at core prices?
              Right now, I need two WCFBs and none are to be found. (FWIW, one of our members here who has more than once written how the WCFBs are hopeless junk and toss them for an Edelbrock, offered me that junk for $150 ) Not gonna happen.
              Bottom line any used WCFB/AFB probably needs a complete rebuild and that done right can run into big bucks. Daytona Carburetor's last quote was $450. I'm glad to pay reasonable core prices and that HEAVY cast iron shipping cost. PM me what you've got, a photo is good, and how much you want for it.
              I have one WCFB that is damaged (vandalism- long story). I'm going to be gone for the next two days. Email me so I can send you a picture. It may be good only for parts, but who knows?

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Jack, I have a WCFB on a '64 Wagonaire. It's in working order; I started the car up and drove it around the yard last Summer. Since the WCFB is not the correct carb for that year, I'd consider selling it to you for fifty bucks. I have several AFBs I could overhaul, and use on that car, which isn't being driven anyway. Or I could hang a 2-barrel on it.

I expect to be able to go the Portland Swap Meet in early April, and plan to go via Spokane, so I could drop it off to you. I'll ask around, and see if I can find any more.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I have a few used WCFB's and manifolds available. Also AFB.

Barry'd in Studes
                  Barry'd in Studes

Comment

I imagine there are ones like me. I have a complete
                    setup off a 55 engine I used in my 53. I don't want
                    to sell it, but I need to. May never use it. I could
                    have sold the carb alone several times, but I would
                    only sell the whole setup. I guess some others are
                    the same way. If I sell it, I might need it. I think
                    it's worth 250, and I may be the only one that thinks
                    that.

Tex in Alabama

Comment

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10,
                      '51 Commander Starlight,
                      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

quote:
                        With carb cores, it's "condition, condition, condition." I recently walked away from a corroded-rusted-solid WCFB for $10 because those which have been sitting on the ground or in unheated sheds for a while are often unrepairable. I just paid $100 for a clean one off a running car.

A FWIW story - a while back a local Stude hoarder had three WCFB cores I had been trying to buy from him for years. Just knowing someone wanted what he had seemed to give him more satisfaction than a few bucks would have. He passed away and his children gathered for one mammoth cleanup weekend. They didn't bother to call anyone in the local Stude community and the carbs went to the scrap yard with hundreds of pounds of rusty, greasy but usable core cams, cranks and engines. They just wanted the house and garage cleaned and on the market in one weekend.
                        That's why I posted about the Edelbrock for an R2 carb. I busted a mounting ear on this rare and valuable piece, so I have to find a replacement bowl, whether it be another R2, an Edelbrock retrofit, or whatever to get my driver back. It seems, no one has them, no one is selling them, or somewhere somebody's shed is plum full of them. You know these carbs are hard enough to find as it is, without having to contend with this situation. Seeing as the writing is on the wall, I thought well if it can be done on an NA vehicle quite easily, what's the story with doing it on a supercharged vehicle where it needs to be sealed? I dunno about seeing a post every third thread, I couldn't find a post on a single page on these particular carbs, so I had to ask on the Edelbrocks .

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010531-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                        [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010550-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                        [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
                        [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                        1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                        1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I've PM'd those who offered carbs for sale.

jackb- all I know is I drove my '55 E12 with the original carb for the past twenty years on today's 10%ethanol crap gas. However, you better not take the chance. Sell me your WCFB and get one of the shiny Edelbrocks.

PlainBrownR2 - IIRC, there is nothing special about the R2 base. I've made a couple of R2 carbs from R1s by installing the marine seals on the accelerator pump and changing the jetting.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                          PackardV8

Comment

What is the #s on the carburetors? I have one in the barn. But don't know what it fits. But will look tomorrow.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
                            http://ozarktrails.tripod.com/
                            Studebaker Diners Club

Comment

I picked up a couple of the R1 carbs, and after seeing the vents in the rear and the configuration of the passages underneath, which are like night and day between the two carbs.....no thanks. I'd really rather deal with a replacement carb or utilize something done before like an Edelbrock conversion that uses modern components.

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010531-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                              [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010550-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                              [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
                              [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
                              X