Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More T-98 problems

OK, Pulled the T-98 from the parts truck yesterday and discovered:
    1) suckers heavy when you drop it out onto your chest.
    2) when the shifter is in neutral the trans turns straight through like it was in gear, wont freewheel the input or output without turning the other end.
    3) when I put it in a gear it locks up and wont move,period.
    4) wont go to 2nd gear or rev.

Any ideas on what I need to be looking for when I open it up this afternoon would be appreciated. Is this likely something I can repair through the top cover? In my mind it seems to be locked into one gear and trying to be in 2 gears at once when you choose a different gear. This truck supposedly ran and drove when it was parked (likely due to rusty floors). The grease was a bit dirty but seemed like just grease, no metal or water,etc.. that I would look for in a destroyed trans.The gears it will go into it goes into easily. I would like to repair this one to replace the failing unit in my truck. Thanks, Steve

STOLEN Studebaker!Ventura County ad says contact
    Barry @ 805-218-3658

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...544229962.html
    sigpic

Sounds like it is in gear all the time, then when you put it in gear it is in two at the same time, that's why it locks up.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Alan

Sounds like it is in gear all the time, then when you put it in gear it is in two at the same time, that's why it locks up.

Thanks, That was my take on it also. What would have caused it to do that and how do I correct it? Thanks, Steve

Barry @ 805-218-3658

sigpic

Comment

Could be that the syncro rings are "glued" to the forcing coller that they rest on. The result is that the top shaft is locked from front to rear. You might try sloshing some atf or diesel fuel around in it and get a bit forceful while you have it in neut and get it to turn loose. If this fails remove the top cover, and make sure that the sliding collers are engaged with the shift forks,and that the forks are not bent or broken. Slide the collers around while things are out in the open.Be sure to check the little lever for reverse as well. The T98 is a tough trans I suspect the problem is a simple one. DMc

Comment

Thanks, I filled it with deisel last night and let it soak. Found out this morning it was bio-deisel so I dont know if it works for what I am doing but plan to try a gal of WD-40 in it tonight. I have to spend time stripping the parts truck so it will be a few days before I pull the cover. Anything scary about pulling that cover? I have the manuals on CD but cant ever find what I want on them when I need it. I also believe this is a simple problem. This truck is junk but seemed to be cared for by whoever drove it last. It wasnt beat up anywhere before the scrappers got it.The crankcase was even filled with Marvel mystery oil when this truck was parked. Thanks, Steve

Barry @ 805-218-3658

sigpic

Comment

Nothing too scary to pull the cover. Start by removing the threaded coller that retains the shift lever to the cover. There is a small pin in the side of the tower that you will want to get ahold of so it doesnt fall inside the "works". Clean round the cover as dirt has a way of getting in places that you dont want it to. The cover is just held down with a few bolts, and should lift straight up and off. DMc

Comment

Thanks Dean, Steve

Barry @ 805-218-3658

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X