EXHAUST MANIFOLD HEAT RISER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXHAUST MANIFOLD HEAT RISER

I have a 1950 Commander....the heat riser is rusted where it can not move...I have pulled the part of the exhaust manifold where it is installed.The rod that goes thru is frozen...I have removed the bobber and flap but cannot remove the shaft that goes thru the exhaust manifold...Any suggestions on the best way to remove the shaft ?.....I am thinking that I would install another heat riser setup even tho I dont use the car in the winter. Wouldent there be less sludge build up with one installed as the engine would come up to temp quicker ? Also, it seems to me that this would benefit the exhaust system by reducing the condesation on start up...Am I thinking correctly about this ?...your comments are appreciated....John

Just use your torch, blow out the rod and re-install on your car. If you don't have a torch, leave the rod there and then re-install. I don't believe you would notice any difference in sludge build-up. The "replacement" ones I found need a lot of grinding to allow the flipper to work, and then it isn't sealing right when closed... so why bother. I did finally get one working right on a Jet Thrust mill that is in a '57 pickup, but I had to grind on the butterfly and the manifold for what seemed like hours to get it working. I lost track of how many times I crawled under the truck and bolted everything up only to find that it wouldn't open and close freely; then unbolted and started grinding again. I blew out the guts and re-installed the non working stock one on my '53 Commander when restoring it.

duane miller

Comment

Duane...thanks for responding to my question regarding the heat riser problem...I did finally get it out by grinding the screw head of on the flapper with my dremel tool, then I hammered the shaft out...Maybe i will leave the heat riser off if there are problems with them as one has to remove the top half of the exhaust manifold to get at it..it is a lot of work and I dont want to do it again....John

quote:Originally posted by Deaf Mute

Just use your torch, blow out the rod and re-install on your car. If you don't have a torch, leave the rod there and then re-install. I don't believe you would notice any difference in sludge build-up. The "replacement" ones I found need a lot of grinding to allow the flipper to work, and then it isn't sealing right when closed... so why bother. I did finally get one working right on a Jet Thrust mill that is in a '57 pickup, but I had to grind on the butterfly and the manifold for what seemed like hours to get it working. I lost track of how many times I crawled under the truck and bolted everything up only to find that it wouldn't open and close freely; then unbolted and started grinding again. I blew out the guts and re-installed the non working stock one on my '53 Commander when restoring it.

duane miller

Comment

Working...
      X