57 Hwk Air Cleaner wanted or suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 Hwk Air Cleaner wanted or suggestions

My 57 Silver Hawk has a like new oil bath air cleaner but having a background in filtration personally Im not a fan of these steel gause units. Not totally convinced they dont work but looking for a replacement.

My hawk has the 259 V8 with the WCFB carb but all the photos I see and took at Cedar Rapids only the 2-barell carbs seem to have the conventional celluiose style air cleaner elements. Is there a stock version for the V8? Any photos as I need one! My car has air so the generator is up high and no room for a over the carb air cleaner but Im willing to relocate the generator (alt) to make room as I have the parts to do so. The AC will be removed for the summer anyway as that's a later project.
    Thank you for your tips and opinion!

Just wanting to drive my Stude in the black hills.

Well my search function suddenly works and there are some great comments and modifications to other intake units to fit the WCFB.
    One chap mentioned an AMC air cleaner may fit. Well I have a AMC Eagle so i'll go out and look tomorrow.

I found this
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...s=oil,bath,air

Jessie J seems to know his stuff!! That oil bath cleaner is about the same size of the Donaldson Top Spin pre-cleaner we use which mechanically removes all particles 25 micron and larger. A good paper filter DOES clean smaller material than a K&N which is 98% at 8 to 10 microns where the K&N are rated per Donaldson tests at 100% at 12 microns at best.

I do like my oil bath cleaner as it looks like new and the material inside is not all dirty and rusted.. It's amazing but I am not sure if the oils today are tacky enough for the job.. Perhaps some bar and chain oil would help. I could modify the oil bath to take a dry filter or chop off the large part and attach a dry cone style (Nanofiber) unit but then I wouldnt be able to use my PCV system I'm adopting unless I build an aircleaner box for the purpose.. Downdraft tubes add to engine wear and lost efficiency.

Decisions! bbut thanks to this forum answers are here.. My browser doesnt like the search function but it works about 40% of the time...

Wow, someone in this town has something other than a Chevy!!

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it... traditionally oil bath air filters were spec'd for "dusty" areas and the dry ones were only used in "clean" areas, so at least back in the day the mfgrs. thought that the oil bath were BETTER if a PITA. Porsche were still using them as late as 1971; my 914 had an oil bath on it.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks N8N and by the way, I really appreciate that database of yours.
        I like this unit and the steel whool material is in super condition. No inner or outer rust on the lid and housing as well. (was a Las Vegas car)
        I know in the 60's oil bath units used a material made from birch trees. It didnt last as long but it could hold the oil better. I mention this as I am wondering if you recall the media your Porsche used.

Wow, someone in this town has something other than a Chevy!!

Comment

Working...
        X