• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wolfie
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by leroy

I had a champ that the steering would bind up get tight,
    problem was the cab mounts were week and the body was settled
    down on the column, binding the steering.

hope this isn't your problem.

That could be what originally happened but I am afraid mine has the opposite problem. My cab is 2-4 inches higher off the frame than stock and I am concerned about the angle between the steering box mount and the mount on the dash causing a bow in the steering shaft or column. When I replace it I will see if the where it naturally wants to be and go from there. It was probably worked out when the truck was rebuilt, if it was even an issue. If not I will cut the new mounts down and get the cab back down where it should be. Thanks,Steve

STOLEN Studebaker!Ventura County ad says contact
    Barry @ 805-218-3658

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...544229962.html

Leave a comment:

• leroy
    replied
    I had a champ that the steering would bind up get tight,
    problem was the cab mounts were week and the body was settled
    down on the column, binding the steering.

hope this isn't your problem.

Leave a comment:

• wolfie
    replied
    Hmm, response disappeared. Yes Mark, Although I didnt understand that when I originally posted this question. I have or will make room to pull the box with the column and pull box,wheel,column, wiring and all as one unit. This truck needs to dissappear quickly and I dont have pullers to remove the wheel. The neighbors havent commented yet but have eyed the truck pretty hard already. I will use all of this steering assembly in my truck (something is bent in mine and binds). I can tear this one down later at a slower pace to reinstall it. Thanks Again, Steve

Barry @ 805-218-3658

Leave a comment:

• Transtar60
    replied
    Yeah ok, but you do understand the steering wheel has to come off because the shaft it attaches to stays with the box.
    the shaft is one piece from inside the box to the nut that holds the steering wheel on??.

3E38
    4E2
    4E28
    5E13
    7E7
    8E7
    8E12
    8E28

59 Lark
    etc

Leave a comment:

• wolfie
    replied
    Thanks Transtar60, AHH, Thats my problem. I wasnt planning to pull the box with it. Thought the column would slip free from the box. I have plenty of room, no windows or pedals in the way but havent pulled the steering wheel. I think I am just going to enlarge the hole through the firewall and pull box and all straight through to get this one out but looks like I will have to disassemble it to get it back in the other truck when the time comes. Thanks again, Steve

Barry @ 805-218-3658

Leave a comment:

• Transtar60
    replied
    Wolfie the steering shaft is part of the gear inside the box.

So remove the steering wheel and horn button parts and unbolt the clamps to the dash and the pinch bolt where the sleeve meets the steering box.
    There is a shield around the base of the steering column, the pedal pads may have to come off to wiggle it out of there.
    The steering column should slide right off.

The steering could be removed intact if there is no seat and no back window. But it would take a lot wiggling. Not a lot room to get the steering box past the pedals, and the pitman arm may or may not have to be removed first.

3E38
    4E2
    4E28
    5E13
    7E7
    8E7
    8E12
    8E28

59 Lark
    etc

Leave a comment:

• wolfie
    started a topic steering column removal

steering column removal

I am trying to remove the steering column from the 60 something T-cab parts truck today. What I can find in the manual is complete disassembly instructions. Does this have to come out as two pieces or can it be removed as a whole? Thanks, Steve

Barry @ 805-218-3658

Working...
X