Avanti Gasoline smell inside the car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Gasoline smell inside the car

Everytime we put gas in the car we get a very strong gasoline odor inside the car that remains for a couple of days. It eventually goes away and is only there after we put in fuel of any amount.

I think there must be some seepage in the fuel filler neck that runs down to the gas tank.

I took out the back seat to get at the tank neck but found the hard fiberglass seat back is glued to the car frame and will not come off even after all of the screws have been removed.

I would appreciate any suggestions of how I can get a look at the filler tube, is it metal or rubber?

Thanks
    Steve

Steve,

You will have to carefully pry off that panel.......the only way to reach the tank:-(

Once you get the tank out you will most likely have to have a rad shop solder copper pennies on top of all the spot welds the factory made to hold the baffles inside the tank. After so many years of gas sloshing around they have become loose.

Worst part of the job is getting the tank out....you first have to get under the car and remove the gas fitting on the tanks bottom....tank will not come out without taking it off........please don't ask me how I know this!!:-(

Comment

Also check the gasket at the sending unit.
      That's where my gasoline odor coms from.

Mike

Comment

Thanks Guys but I only have an odor when I put fuel in the car. I never have any gas smell at any other time. Friday I put seven gallons in and brought it up to a little over 1/2 tank. It smelled like gas yesterday but does not smell at all today and the gas level remains unchanged.

The weird thing is it does not matter what the fuel level is in the tank but as soon as you put any fuel in you get the smell inside the car.

The typical situation is we will be driving and the car smells fine. We pump gas and as soon as we get back in the car the inside smells like gas. The smell then lingers the rest of the day and the next.

Steve

Comment

sounds like a rotted vent tube maybe? Does it also smell if you park it in the sun on a really hot day?

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel
          --
          55 Commander Starlight

Comment

The filler tube is 2 1/4". Get a 1554436 gas filler hose from SI for $12.95 and 2 new hose clamps and you will be back in business.

Comment

When I had the rear seats out of my 83, I decided to pull the cover off the gas tank area to check for $100 dollar bills or a lost stash of Krugerrands. Once I got it started it pulled off fairly easily.

When you reinstall it use 3M Strip-Calk 08578 which should be readily available at any FLAPS that handles body supplies. That or it's equivalent is what sealed it originally.

Well, no riches but I did find a food stash for some rodent.

Bob

Comment

Steve,

Since your forum ID is Avanti82 can we assume your car is a 82 Avanti II? If it still uses similar gas tank and fill up as my original 63 Avanti here are a couple of other things to check in addition to the above suggtestions. With rear seat cushion and access panel removed look for a small vent tube coming off the top of tank on the left side. In the original avanti it goes down to the rear wheel well. I found my clogged up with dirt and used a short piece of stiff coat hanger wire to unplug it. Another idea is the gas tank gauge sending unit. In my car the sending unit gasket was made of cork versus modern gasoline resistant rubber material and the cork had become dried and cracked. Before doing the above the gasoline smell in my car wasn't too bad if I kept the tank at 3/4 full or less. Probably the best thing to do is remove it and have it cleaned baffels repaired, if needed and replace all gasket and filler hose. Let us know how it turns out.

John

63R-2386 under restoration & modification
                sigpic
                John
                63R-2386
                Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Thanks Guys,great suggestions and information. I should be finished up with the Chevelle (new carb, disc brake conversion and rear control arms) by Wednesday and I will go ahead and get the tank cover off and see what everything looks like. I will check the filler tube as well as the vent tube and other items mentioned.

I did notice that the filler neck was very loose and two of the screws were stripped and the third not tightened down. That also may have been a small part of it.

Thanks again and will let you know what I find and post pictures.

Best Regards,

Steve

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

sounds like a rotted vent tube maybe? Does it also smell if you park it in the sun on a really hot day?

nate
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    Nate we never have any odor when it sits outside in the sun at car shows only when we add gas to the car.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                    X