Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Delco "window" distributor on a 63 Avanti.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delco "window" distributor on a 63 Avanti.

When I found that the original distributor had been replaced with a Delco I was, in a way, quite pleased, as that would enable me to set the dwell with the engine running. But in reality this is next to impossible as the window faces the firewall and there is almost no room to manoeuvre, even with the special Standard tool.
    Suppose now that I lift up the distributor, rotate it clockwise until the vacuum advance unit gets into the way, then lock it. Then I should "backtrack" the wires one or two steps, in order to counteract too much advance/ retard. Is there something I haven't thought about, is my thinking incorrect?

I've done that many times with different cars. You can put number '1' anyhwere you want as long as the rotor is in the right spot and the wires match the firing order on the cap, also. The engine doesn't know any different.

Did the exact same thing when I was running a 'window' on my Avanti.

ErnieR

1988 "Beater" Avanti---R5388 @ Macungie 2006

Comment

Taking into consideration that the ignition wires are spaced at 45* intervals, 360 : 8, I should try to rotate/ turn the distributor as close as possible to 45* or 90* etc, and then backtrack the wires one step, 2 steps etc. Hopefully the vacuum advance unit won't be to much of a nuisance.
      I'll find out next weekend.

Comment

don't lift the distributor! just turn it then move the wires. The oil pump drive only aligns at 0 and 180 degrees. It won't care where the wires are mounted in relation to the vacuum advance as long as it is timed to the crank. The rotor cap just needs to point to the correct wire as the points open.
        Rob

Comment

Yeah, you can sure do this. I have a Delco on my '63 Lark. You just have to split the difference between the location of the advance vacuum can and the window, but once you've got it, all you need to do is stick the short end of the Allen wrench in there and go to town.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
          '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Friendly reminder, before you pull the distributor make sure it's at number 1 and the timing mark is at TDC. Don't allow the engine to turn and reposition the distributor to where you want it. If it doesn't drop in all the way, which it probably won't (it's okay for the moment) lay the cap on anyway and mark where new number 1 will be. Now bump the starter with a remote switch or a helper at the key while you push down on the distributor and it will drop down the rest of the way engaging the oil pump rod. Even though the rotor will change position a little from where it was when you marked the cap it will still be close enough. Time the engine and you're done.

ErnieR

Comment

Thank you for all the "small" details to take into consideration, that's what makes the difference between a successful operation and!!!. Another "detail" popped up, how do I turn the crankshaft, the big center bolt is not accessible as there is a large locker tab around it, can I turn over just putting the socket on one of the small bolts?
              I'm used to Ford and GM cars from the 60' and the 70's and I must confess that this 63 Avanti is much more different than I thought before buying, but that's not a negative thing as one develops a broader knowledge.

Comment

You can get to it with the right combo of sockets and extensions but there may be a locking ring on there and the tabs won't allow the socket to fit. Most times I bump the starter and get it close then put a socket on the alternator bolt and turn from there while pushing down on the belt.

Worst case scenario is that if you can't get to the crank bolt you can either pull the plugs so there's no compression which will make it easy to turn from the alternator or with a helper turn from the flywheel/ring gear.

ErnieR

Comment

BTW, it doesn't have to be right at TDC. If the mark is within the range of numbers on the tab you're OK.

ErnieR

Comment

Working...
                  X