Clear All

• wolfie
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by ralt12

Yup

'53 Commander
    Art Morrison chassis
    LS6 ASA/4L60E

I would love to get pics and info on it one day. Those have a special place in my heart. Steve

STOLEN Studebaker!Ventura County ad says contact
    Barry @ 805-218-3658

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...544229962.html

Leave a comment:

• ralt12
    replied
    Without rolling the fender lip, 295's are tough to make work. The difficulty is the choice between the right wheel width (and right backspacing) for the wheel/tire combo and the fairly narrow wheelwells for this size. I have all the clearance in the world from a spring perspective (inboard coilovers) but the inner wheelwell is still the limiting factor. So unless you roll the lip and/or tub it, 295's really aren't a great choice given the potential for moving around within the well, and that's with an axle that is really well located.

'53 Commander
    Art Morrison chassis
    LS6 ASA/4L60E

Leave a comment:

• sals54
    replied
    I'm using 265-50-15s on the back of my 54. They're about 10 1/2 inches wide. I have plenty of clearance. They're mounted on 8" rims currently, but I used to have them on 10" rims. The 54 is running a narrowed Ford 9" rear. I had it narrowed specifically for the use of the 10" rims with the wide tires. A couple of things I did to maximize the rear tire width: I used neoprene bushings in the rear. ( Use a pack of Jeep rear bushings. Each eye used one and a half Jeep bushings. ) Then use a few washers to push the leaf springs inboard as much as 1/4 inch. The neoprene bushings help the rear springs to stay square to the body a bit better anyway. Next little trick was to roll the inner fender lip. Being a CASO, an old baseball bat was used against the tire while rolling the car forward and back a few times. That gives another 1/2 inch. Even with the 10 1/2 inch tires in the rear, I've still got 1 1/2 inches of clearance to the leaf springs. I could go as wide as 295s and be good.

sals54

Leave a comment:

• ralt12
    replied
    Yup

'53 Commander
    Art Morrison chassis
    LS6 ASA/4L60E

Leave a comment:

• wolfie
    replied
    Raly12, Is the Harley an XR 750? Steve

STOLEN Studebaker!Ventura County ad says contact
    Barry @ 805-218-3658

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...544229962.html

Leave a comment:

• Flashback
    replied
    As a matter of fact, I was just going to do a little tech
    on the rear end today, and my camera was dead. I am in the
    process of puttin another rear end (disc brake) under my 53,
    and a drum brake under my 55. I will try and get some photo's
    and specs tomorrow. I have a couple of old one's til I can do
    better.

This one shows the wheel and the rear end, although not very good.

This one is also not very good.

Tex in Alabama

The rear end is S-10. The wheels are code AZ Corvette. They have a
    backspacing of 4" and front spacing is 5". They are 8" wheels. The
    S-10 rear end is 54 1/2" wide. It's 4" narrower than the Studebaker.
    I am using Ford or Mopar 6 or 6 1/2" steel on front, with 215x70r15
    tires. O, the rear tires are 255x60. All tires are Firestone Indy 500

Here's the 5" Studebaker wheel and the 8" Corvette wheel, 6" and 9"
    overall. Backspacing is measured to lip, not wheel width.

Backspacing on Studebaker. Corvette is 4"

You can see here, the spring clearance, on the Studebaker rear end.
    With the 8" wheel and the S-10 rear end it goes down to 1/2", and
    the fender clearance is about 1 to 1 1/2" at rest with 2" lowering.

The S-10 rear end is from 2-wheel drive only. 4WD is too wide.

Leave a comment:

• junior
    replied
    Hey Flashback...are you reading this post?? Looked in your previous posts but can't find a photo of your car with the Vette rims on the rear, could only find side view shot of what looks like a centerline or weld type wheel with a slick on it. Could you post or repost some photos on this thread with the vette wheels?? What are you running for front tire size? Thanks, Junior.

54 Champ C5 Hamilton car.

Leave a comment:

• Alan
    replied
    With the 295's it was within 1/2" of the spring and you could not get your fingers between the inner fender well and tire. It would rub on the fender with a load or more than one person in the car. And on turns drive like a cop is watching.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    FWIW, when we get into the larger size tires, the 15"s aren't all the same section width, regardless of what they say on the sidewall. The 8" rims are OK. Some 275s are OK and some aren't. I'm running 16"x8" and none of the 275"s I've tried will fit without rubbing on hard cornering. This is after careful centering of the rear axle, stiffer springs and shocks. Maybe a rear anti-roll bar would help

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8

Leave a comment:

• woodysrods
    replied
    Hi Junior
    I am talking to too many people at once and got lost in the Forum. Please check out my posts in General Discussion under Parkig Sign Wanted.
    Thanks
    Brian

Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Leave a comment:

• woodysrods
    replied
    And Alan, the 8" rims with 5 3\4" backspace. Did the rub inside and out? Rub on springs, innner body tubs, outer quarters??
    Would 275's fit on them with less bulge to make 8" rims work??
    Brian
    Just butting in on Junior' thread

Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca

Leave a comment:

• woodysrods
    replied
    Sorry Junior I am seeking the same info as you and am faced with the same decision making delema. So I want to but into your thread.
    Ralt12, What rims and backspace are you runing front & rear?
    And what is the overall width of your rear end? And am I to assume your front is aftermarket Mustang II style with 56 1/2" overall width? Oh and do you have straight side view of your car with the 17" wheels and 50 series tires? are fronts 17 too?
    Thanks for more imput.
    Brian

Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca

Leave a comment:

• junior
    replied
    Wow ralt12...if you're going to do it, do it right. AWESOME set up. If only I had the $$.

54 Champ C5 Hamilton car.

Leave a comment:

• ralt12
    replied
    Here are a pair, both running 275/50-17 in the rear, which is about the biggest you can run with the stock bodywork; fronts are 255's...

The black ones are $57 each.

'53 Commander
    Art Morrison chassis
    LS6 ASA/4L60E

Leave a comment:

• N8N
    replied
    Junior, that's an R1 with a T-10, air cleaner is not correct, I think it's off a '62 'vette.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Leave a comment:

Working...
X