C/K rear tire clearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C/K rear tire clearance

I need a measurement for my reference in order to purchase new wheels and tires for my 54 Coupe. Can anyone tell me what the distance is from the sidewall to the fenderwell lip is on a STOCK C/K? The photo below shows what my car has, but the wheels/tires and rearend are not stock, so I need to know how much clearance the rear fender had from the factory. I really want to get my wheel and tire combo to look just right, so I want to start with the factory measurements. Thanks for any help you can give. Junior

The measurement is taken from the widest part of the sidewall to the inside of the fenderwell lip at approx. the 12 o'clock postion...my measurement is 2 1/4"...what is the stock measurement?

54 Champ C5 Hamilton car.
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

I don't have the measurement that you're looking for, but I can tell you that you can fit at least 245/60s possibly wider with the right offset wheels. I have those tires on 15x7" MoPar cop wheels which have about 3/4" offset, and the same wheels work on the front but fit better with about a 1/4" spacer.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Is that 3/4" offset towards the diff, or 3/4" offset towards the fender? Thanks, Junior.

sigpic
      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

that's positive offset, or centerline of tire is inboard of the mounting flange. "deep dish" wheels look awesome, but they're not for Studebakers with stock suspension...

I believe your stock wheels have about the same offset, if you measure 'em. Pretty sure those should be the same 15x5" wheels that my '55 came with stock. So they won't change your steering geometry any.

Keep in mind that unless you have P/S you may not really want that much tire, and it'll also be harder on your steering and suspension. Does look fairly spiffy though.

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        --
        55 Commander Starlight

Comment

These are 275 X 60 X 15" on 7" rims with 4 3/4" backspace. I have put 295 X 60 X 15"'s on it with 8" rims and 5 3/4" backspace but it is fun putting the tires on and don't go around corners fast.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys...would still like to know how much clearance there is on a stock stude set-up. Right now I'm dealing with a rearend that is at least 2" narrower than a stock stude rear end, so I have some more room to fool around with a deeper dish wheel before I run into clearance problems. Any idea what tires have a tread pattern that looks somewhat close to BFG Radial T/A's? I really don't want to go with a 70 series tire on the front, I want to stay with 205/75-15's,(no power steering on the car)but would like to have a tire that looks somewhat like the BFG's that I'm planning to put on the back. Such a tough decision as I really want to get the wheel & tire combo right. Really wish I could try different tire and wheel combos like trying on clothes...too bad the tire shops don't see it my way. Have narrowed the wheel choice to Cragar S/S, Cragar Supreme's, or Keystone Classics. What do you think would reflect a 1973/74 look to my 54 Coupe? It's painted a super-dark metallic brown, and has all the Regal chrome on it. I just can't make up my mind. Thanks for any input. Junior.

sigpic
            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

On my '60 Hawk, I took the rear fenders off and layed then on the lawn
              with a 4 x 6 under the fender at the front of the wheel opening and at
              the rear of the wheel opening, and then my brother and I stood on the
              fender to bend it out ever so slightly. I think I gained about 1/2 to
              1 inch of tire clearance. The bend/bow wasnt noticable.

It worked, but its dangerous if done wrong. I had spares back then so
              I wasnt too worried. Not sure if I would try it these days.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Junior, just my opinion but I think the Keystones will definitely give you that early 70's look... because people figured out about 1975 that Cragars were better looking :P (I know I just offended someone with that post, please note that that is my opinion and only that)

Another option would be an Ansen Sprint type slotted mag, which is a definite early 70's look but one that I like. Unfortunately I don't think the ones that have been recently repro'd are available in the right offsets for really wide tires on a C-K, but it doesn't hurt to ask (they're now made by American Racing) or else a kidney bean Halibrand style wheel (basically the same thing but with some surface detail, not perfectly flat) finally there's always the Torq-Thrust or similar 5-spoke, like a Cragar but painted/machined instead of chromed.

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                --
                55 Commander Starlight

Comment

N8N...thanks for your opinion, last year I had my choice narrowed to Cragar s/s and Torque Thrusts, but still can't make up my mind. What ever I do I will choose some sort of 5 spoke design. I think the definitive choice would be the Cragars, but everyone in my city runs these wheels(or Torque Thrust II's)...I want something a little different. I want some wide rubber on the back, think the rear shot of Alan's tire is awesome. BTW you've got a slick 55. I love coupes with the chrome (or I guess in your case stainless) trim around the side windows. What engine is under the hood? Junior

sigpic
                  1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Junior, that's an R1 with a T-10, air cleaner is not correct, I think it's off a '62 'vette.

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Here are a pair, both running 275/50-17 in the rear, which is about the biggest you can run with the stock bodywork; fronts are 255's...

The black ones are $57 each.

'53 Commander
                      Art Morrison chassis
                      LS6 ASA/4L60E
                      '53 Commander
                      Art Morrison chassis
                      LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

Wow ralt12...if you're going to do it, do it right. AWESOME set up. If only I had the $$.

sigpic
                        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Sorry Junior I am seeking the same info as you and am faced with the same decision making delema. So I want to but into your thread.
                          Ralt12, What rims and backspace are you runing front & rear?
                          And what is the overall width of your rear end? And am I to assume your front is aftermarket Mustang II style with 56 1/2" overall width? Oh and do you have straight side view of your car with the 17" wheels and 50 series tires? are fronts 17 too?
                          Thanks for more imput.
                          Brian

Brian Woods
                          woodysrods@shaw.ca
                          1946 M Series (Shop Truck)
                          Brian Woods
                          woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

And Alan, the 8" rims with 5 3\4" backspace. Did the rub inside and out? Rub on springs, innner body tubs, outer quarters??
                            Would 275's fit on them with less bulge to make 8" rims work??
                            Brian
                            Just butting in on Junior' thread

Brian Woods
                            woodysrods@shaw.ca
                            Brian Woods
                            woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Hi Junior
                              I am talking to too many people at once and got lost in the Forum. Please check out my posts in General Discussion under Parkig Sign Wanted.
                              Thanks
                              Brian

Brian Woods
                              woodysrods@shaw.ca
                              Brian Woods
                              woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Working...
                              X