CHEWED UP BENDIX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHEWED UP BENDIX

Hi to all....went to start my 1950 standard shift Commander and it would not turn over so i pulled the starter and saw that all the front teeth of the Bendix were chewed up 1/4 inch in...I never saw one that badly destroyed...do you think I have any ring gear damage that would be causing this condition ?...john

It is possible, your best bet is to stick a large screwdriver into the
    hole in the bottom of the bellhousing, and turn the gear bit by bit.
    Make a mark with a pen or chalk, so you know when you went 360 degrees.
    I remember reading in a pinch, taking the gear off the starter shaft
    and rotating it so the good side faces out, and than pressing back on.

Not sure what years this works for, and its been many years, and not
    something I have done personally. The starter may have needed shims
    or other adjustment - or after all these years .. the wrong part!

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

some of the earlier ring gears were a "1-side only" type. The teeth were champhered (sp) for easier engagement...(41's comes to mind)

Comment

Working...
      X