What size spare rim and tire fits Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by Gunslinger

Nothing bigger than the 6.70-15 on a stock rim will fit in the tire well...at least through 1970 (my car is a '70). I don't know if Avanti Motors ever changed the molds for larger tires. ...
    I don't know when they made the change, but my '83 no longer had the tire well cover flush with the trunk floor. It was attached so the bottom of the cover was level with the trunk floor. A 205x75x15 would fit in the well then, but you no longer had a flat trunk floor. On my '64 even a reproduction 6.70x15 bias tire would not allow the cover to latch. I had a NOS 6.70x15 which I mounted on a stock Avanti rim. It fit, but the cover was still pretty tight.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

For those putting a 6.70-15 in the spare tire well: beware that not all repro 6.70-15 tires measure out the same. On my '63 I went with the B.F. Goodrich repros because they would fit under the stock spare tire cover - the Firestone repros had more section width and would not allow the spare tire cover to lay flush with the trunk floor.

Thomas

Comment

I had the same problem but I solved it by letting the air out

Just kidding, of course.

quote:Originally posted by Thomas63R2

For those putting a 6.70-15 in the spare tire well: beware that not all repro 6.70-15 tires measure out the same. On my '63 I went with the B.F. Goodrich repros because they would fit under the stock spare tire cover - the Firestone repros had more section width and would not allow the spare tire cover to lay flush with the trunk floor.

Thomas

1988 "Beater" Avanti---R5388 @ Macungie 2006

Comment

quote:Originally posted by TX Rebel

I have a NOS Avanti II spare tire...

Barry'd in Studes
          Barry, did you get my email?

Steve

Comment

Working...
          X