Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size spare rim and tire fits Avanti

Guys,

I am going to have to buy a spare tire for our Avanti. They gave me one with the car but when I put air in the tire it is too large for the small thin tire well in the trunk and the lid will not close. Did the 82 Avanti use a space saver or something?

Thanks
    Steve

My '88 came with a space-saver. They are all over the junkyards, lighter weight too. I put one in my '64.

ErnieR

1988 "Beater" Avanti---R5388 @ Macungie 2006

Comment

Yes on the space saver tires. First measure the height of the tire on your car. I think the later model Ford full size cars still use a 5 on 4 1/2 bolt circle, but check for sure. A lot of those space saver tires are 16 and sometimes 17" tall. Just make sure the height matches whats on your car. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
      Auburn, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
      Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

I seem to recall some discussions about the spare tire wells on (Studebaker) Avantis being *just* deep enough to fit the stock 5" wide rim with a 6.70-15 bias ply tire, but not anything much bigger. I'm not certain if the Avanti IIs used a deeper spare tire well, space saver tires, or what...

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I measured the spare tire well on my 63 Avanti, it's about 195 mm deep. A bias ply 6,70-15 is about 170 mm wide, so you could actually go to a 195/70 tire, and still having it in the well. The diameter of the well poses no problem, it's large enough.

Comment

I measured the spare tire well on my 63 Avanti, it's about 195 mm deep. A bias ply 6,70-15 is about 170 mm wide, so you could actually go to a 195/70 tire, and still having it in the well. The diameter of the well poses no problem, it's large enough.

Comment

Nothing bigger than the 6.70-15 on a stock rim will fit in the tire well...at least through 1970 (my car is a '70). I don't know if Avanti Motors ever changed the molds for larger tires.

I bought a new, still wrapped space saver spare off Ebay for less than $30 including delivery. It fits the tire well with plenty of space to "spare". There's room left over for manuals, supplies, etc., along with it and makes for a neat trunk with the lid properly latched down.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I have a "thin" spare from a early 90s Crown Vic or Grand Marquis in my '53 trunk so that I have more room in there for coolers, lawn chairs and stuff at shows. I could measure it when I get home. Those have the same bolt pattern as studes and its a 15" tire if I recall so not a mini-donut. Came with a nice fitted carpeted cover too

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Avanti82

Guys,

I am going to have to buy a spare tire for our Avanti.
                  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...TOPIC_ID=28087

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                  '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                  Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                  I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Thanks Guys, I am going to start checking eBay and also see if there is a junkyard here in town somewhere.

Steve

Comment

I have a NOS Avanti II spare tire...

Barry'd in Studes
                      Barry'd in Studes

Comment

I have a donut spare from a 2006 chry its alittle smaller than my 205x75x15 it fits in the spare tire wheel with room to spare.IF you get a smaller diameter tire DO NOT install it on a T.T. rear.

Lenny
                        Atlanta Ga.

Comment

I have a donut spare from a 2006 chry its alittle smaller than my 205x75x15 it fits in the spare tire wheel with room to spare.IF you get a smaller diameter tire DO NOT install it on a T.T. rear.

Lenny
                          Atlanta Ga.

Comment

Incase of a smaller spare (though a lot more work, and a jack stand is
                            needed) put the spare on the front and move a front to the rear, thats
                            if the flat is in the REAR of course!

Tom
                            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Here are the details on the early 90s Crown Vic or Grand Marquis spare
                              I use with my '53.

The tire on it is a T125/80R16.

Its about 5-1/4" wide.

Tire OD is about 24-1/8" Its smaller OD
                              than the 205/75R15's I have on the car. So, definately
                              a emergency spare but not super small.

It will fit on the Stude 11" finned front drums and obviously
                              is the same lug pattern. Dunno about fit on any disk brake setups
                              but the OEM application would have been disks. The inside ID
                              of the rim looks pretty big (16" rim) so it should fit a pretty big disk provided the offset allows it.

EDIT:

The T125/80R16 spare on a 16x4" rim was used through '97. For '98
                              and later the tire is T145/80D16 on a 16x4.5" rim. So the later cars
                              have a little bit bigger/wider spare.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Working...
                              X