Commander front springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commander front springs

What can I expect to pay for a pair of front springs for my 52 2 door (ball park)?
    Is there ant other type of car that would interchange so I might have a chance of finding them at a wrecking yard?

Thanks,

Dean.[^]

$75-80 apiece. Nothing in a wrecking yard other than a Stude. You might find Mid 70's Chevy Novas with the same diam. spring, but they are shorter. The Chev is 10 1/2" or 11" tall free standing height, compared to the Stude at 14" and the ends of the spring are not flat like Stude. The Chev. spring rubbers do not fit in the Stude pockets right. I have had Eaton Detroit spring make me some special ones for a laugh and they cost me $150 apiece. You get the pic.

Comment

I don't mean to Hijack your link If some one would respond to me by email that would be great for me. If you wanted to lower the front end of your (ahem) my 50' Commander could you use the chev springs? Do you need to make a jig to fit the spring pocket right? Also would there be any clearance issues to be aware of?

Owner of a 1950 4 door Commander

I'll Tattoo you anytime!

you can find me at

Lucky Linda's Body Art 952-445-3281
      18 years in the tattooing biz
      I have a 1950 4 door Commander a 51 land cruiser And a 52 Champion
      sigpic
      I'll Tattoo you anytime!
      And you can find me at....

New Shop Name Same tattoo shop
      Crazy Lady Ink
      Shakopee Mn.
      952-445-3281
      27 years in the tattooing biz

Comment

Ed, The Chevy springs are from 73 up Chevelle, Monte Carlo. 70 up CamAro, Firebird. and 75 up Novas. They are only 9 1/2" to 10" standing height. Stude is 14". You can use Urethane spring isolators for the Chev. to gain some height lost but they do not fit the Stude a-arms and have to be trimmed on the inside to fit right. Most Chev springs are flattened and ground on one end only. It will take some playing around to get the ride height and alignment set right.

Comment

Or you could avoid all that fooling around and just order the '50 or '52 Commander correct springs from Coil Spring Specialties and have them made 1 1/2 or whatever inches short, and they WILL fit! [^]
          They are a good Co. to deal with! Here is the link:

http://www.coilsprings.com/classic.aspx

StudeRich
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Whoa! I should just ask you in the future Rich. It'll just cut to the quick that way. Thanks
            sigpic
            I'll Tattoo you anytime!

Crazy Lady Ink
            Shakopee Mn.
            952-445-3281

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Edsel G. Tattooer

Whoa! I should just ask you in the future Rich. It'll just cut to the quick that way. Thanks
              And once you see their price-- you'll be even MORE happy!!!!

StudeDave '57 [8D]
              an owner of a set or two...
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

So very true.

I just got a price quote of $245 for just a 2" drop. If I remember right I can safely drop the front end of the car about 3". So I guess I'll be talking to my master mechanic brother and see what he can do for me.

Owner of a 1950 4 door Commander

I'll Tattoo you anytime!

you can find me at

Lucky Linda's Body Art 952-445-3281
                18 years in the tattooing biz
                sigpic
                I'll Tattoo you anytime!

Crazy Lady Ink
                Shakopee Mn.
                952-445-3281

Comment

Hey Ed,

No worries on hijacking my thread, seems we have similar issues and also seems you want your car a little lower than I do.
                  I have my springs that some dude just reached under the car and torched off the lower portion, then I flattened the end to make them seat comfortably in the lower a arm.
                  We all know its not good to heat springs but these were heated only at the very bottom where they seat and I'm not sure but I think they are around 11" tall.
                  If you think they might work for you let me know and we'll see if we can work something out.

Dean.
                  dpearson@scwcompanies.com

Comment

Coil springs are measured by using the Inside Diameter. The quickest way of changing spring strenght is by changing the wire diameter. Each wire diameter gives a different Outside Diameter. Seeing that coils are located in the A Arm by their insides, it is the ID which we are concerned about.
                    So keeping this in mind the other springs mentioned by others will not sit the A Arm correctly. The ID of the Stude spring is 4.240 inches. The others range from 3.6275 to 4.080 inches. So none of them will sit correctly in the pocket.
                    As for torching the springs to make them shorter will work, however appling heat to a spring will remove it's temper. Spring steel begans to anneal, get soft, at 400 degree's F. Cutting the spring is one thing, but then appling enough heat to re-square the end is another thing. Give the spring enough time and it will break on this end.
                    Now with all that said, we at EATON Detroit Spring stock the right spring for the Studebakers. Our part number is MC1090 and cost 239.95 for the pair plus shipping.

Manufacturer of Leaf Springs, Coil Springs and Attaching Hardware since 1937.

Comment

I don't have a spring issue but I thank you for taking the time to post and be so forthcoming with good, solid info. Hopefully you will continue to monitor this board and post info as needed. I think its great to have a manufacturer helping us directly.

ErnieR

1988 "Beater" Avanti---R5388 @ Macungie 2006

Comment

X2 with Bige. It's great when a manufacture will take the time to share info on the forum.[]

Thanks

Bob

Comment

X3 with bige, thanks for the info but I can't spring for that at this time.

Guess I'm a caso after all.

Dean.

Comment

The car below is using stock V8 springs which have 3 coils cut with a pneumatic cut off tool. I then used the cut off to "flatten" the end of the coil somewhat, to make it sit in the pocket better. It does not bottom out, but the car sits so low, speed bumps are trouble. I'm using 3" lowering blocks in the rear. Watch out for the pinion angle when doing the rear, though. You don't want the driveshaft hitting the tunnel. I ran the car with 2 coils cut for quite a few years. Never had any trouble with the front end. I have the camber maxed out now. I could use a degree or so more to make it right, but when low is the most important thing.... somethings gotta give.

sals54
                            sals54

Comment

Working...
                            X