Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Horrilble hesitation when takin off from a light.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well huys I took the plung and ordered a new edelbrock carburator for the today its the 500 cfm electronic choke, I'm gonna see how it works out before I order the mallory distributor for thr car. Summit should have the carburator here tuesday or wensday I will be posting once I get it put on.

i love my Avanti

Comment

Before I replaced a carb or distributor I would do the "checking" suggested by others.
      Mostly to identify if there is a problem with that component, to conserve funds and enthusiasm for the things that WILL need fixing

Accelerator pump - look for a stream(s) that commences immediately when stroking the linkage. This does not eliminate the possibility of a clogged idle circuit, or other carb internal circuits.
      Advance weights and general distributor condition - sounds like you have a timing light - watch the ignition timing mark with the vac advance disconnected at the dist, and plugged. Rev the engine, watching for a smooth increase in timing. If you have a light with adjustable advance (or a degreed damper, can be done with tape), make a "maP" of the advance every 500 rpm or so and compare it to specs. If you have a dwell meter, look for steady dwell. Wonky sticky or worn distributor internals will often show as erratic timing, timing advance or jumpy dwell. I am fond of confirming that the TDC mark on a damper is correctly indicating TDC. Bonded rubber dampers can fail and the outer ring will shift, creating the " it won't run right when timed to factory specs" phenome

Comment

I did do the checks when I pulled the top off the carter and it had a good stream but not for very long maybe only a .25" of the bore, i've been told that carters don't wear out like holleys so I am assuming that the pump is to small for the bore. I live in Wichita,KS there isn't much for places that know what your talking about when you say you need an accelerator pump for a carter carb. So what im gonna do is buy the edelbrock so that I can drive the car and send the original carb to tbow to get it rebuilt. I found out that I am deploying in June so I need to get the car running so that while I am deployed my wife can drive the car without having trouble with it. As for the distributor it is the original distributor with dual points in it, this distributor has over 350,000 miles on it and has never been rebuilt, when I pulled it out the other day just to check to see if it had shaft play it had a ton of play so that is why I am upgrading to the mallory distributor. Also the bushings were worn out on the weights, I will keep you all updated on the status of the car. Thank you all for everything

i love my Avanti

Comment

Jay you have a very nice car! Me, my sister and son also came home from the hospital in Studes. I also have a white with orange 63 that was an R-1 4-speed car now has an R-3. So glad to hear you plan to keep this car in the family! you are in good hands with this group and for advice as well as friendship. Ed

Comment

Working...
          X