Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Horrilble hesitation when takin off from a light.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horrilble hesitation when takin off from a light.

I inheritated a 63 r1 Avanti from my grandfather. I went down to Texas and picked it up from his house and drove it back up her to Wichita Kansas when I picked the car it idled high and would "diesel" when i shut it off, even if it was in gear. So I lowered the idle to about 900 rpms out of gear and it was abut 750 in gear. It had a hesitaion with the idle up high but not as bad when it is low it still diesels if it is run for a while at highway speeds, I chnged the plugs in the car right before I left Texas and made the 700 mile trip up here the are readinglike its running good the have a light brown tint to them. I took the car out on friday night causeit was a nice night and the hesitation was so bad the when i would take off rom a liht it would die. I have tried adjusting the timing the sho manual says 4 degrees w/o vaccum advance on but at that setting it pops through the carb it stops popping through the carb wen it is at 14 degrees put is still slow to rev at 18 degrees it starts ping under acce;erration and still has a hesitation, I was wondering if maybe it is because its running to lean, I'm not sur about it though. I love driving this car but I do't wana drive it because it stalls at stop lights when i go to takeoff and I don'twana get hit in it please can someone help me. Ohh and I am running 91 octane fuel in it cause according to everythingi have read it has 10.25:1 compression ratio. Thank you for your help

i love my Avanti

Welcome to the ranks of Avanti owners, and to the Forum.

Can you provide us with a little more information? Has the car been in storage or had it been run regularly? Miles on the engine? History of engine work performed?

Your idle is still too high. It should be 650 in neutral. Based on your description, it sounds like the accelerator pump may be bad, and/or the float level is incorrect. The R1 used a Carter AFB, and repair kits are readily available. The shop manual has a section on the AFB, which is a fairly simple carburetor to install a kit into.

I would also suggest that you get in touch with your local SDC Chapter. There are probably folks in the Wichita are who would be glad to help you along with the Avanti.

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/lc_KS.asp

Jim Bradley
    Lewistown PA
    '78 Avanti II
    Jim Bradley
    Lake Monticello, VA
    '78 Avanti II
    sigpic

Comment

Check to be sure that the vacuum advance is working correctly.
      Also, the centrifugal advance weights wear badly and this can cause the advance to fluctuate and not have the correct "curve".
      SI sells "bushed" wieghts. Dave T-Bow (vendor in Mass.) sells Mallory distrubutors.
      Also check for vacuum leaks(including power brake booster check valve).

Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-242-3530

http://auto-alchemy.com
      http://bez-auto-alchemy.blogspot.com

Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Welcome to the forum.
        I would check the accelerator pump in the carb. Pull the air cleaner and look inside. when you open the throttle fast there should be a good size spray of fuel. The timing can be retarded to get rid of the pinging. Today's gas doesn't have enough octane for your 10.25:1. You could try a mix with race fuel to bump it up some. I run the same compression in my daily driver on 91. Oh, don't forget to post some pics.

Gordon

Comment

One thing to check is the throttle kicker. These have a habit of leaking badly and that leak causes them to go to full travel In other words they cause the throttle open up. This may be the cause of your high idle which means dieseling when you shut if off.
          It also sounds like you have other issues with a car that has not been run for a while. I suggest checking one thing at a time.

Peter Sant
          KOOL R2

Comment

Sorry for the quality of the pics i jut took them on my cell phone, and base housing dont provide much room for pic taking once it is running i wll get the digital out and go somewhere to take good pics. The car has been in storgae for a while it has only had 3000 miles put on it since 1995 when the restoration process was started by my grandfather. My grandmother came down with alzthimers while he was rstoring it and it got puton the back burner. He had the carb rebuilt by a reputible shop in Georgetown Texas (Stones auto), as for the advance, I will try replaceing the weights it is still the dual points set-up. I am a young guy points are way old for me I know the electronic very well but not points. Don't worry guys the car ias staying completly bone stock i has been in my family since 1972 and im not gonna change it at all I love the car. I had read about the accelerator pump probloms people have hd with the afb carbs I was wondering if a edelbrock pump would work in it? Right now I am running the 91 octane with some octane booster in it I know that wont really change it much but i thought it would be worth a try. the 10.25:1 ratio should be fine on the 91 octane i thought since i got a camaro that im running 10.5:1 ratio on the street and it doesnt ping at all either but maybethe combustion chamber deisgn is diffrent. The motor was rebuilt in 1986 and only has 50,000 miles on the rebuild. The cam was reground back to stock specs. The heads were also set-up for the unleaded gas when it was rebuilt. As for the idle the reason it is still high is because it won't idle any lower then that with out rocking the car real bad thank you guys for all the help. This car means a lot to me and i hope to pass it on to my son when he is my age.

i love my Avanti

Comment

When adjusting the timing make sure to attach the timing light to the number 1 plug wire(left front bank as when sitting in car). I still remember my dad instilling in me which was the left front bank as a teenager. My view was the #1 plug is on the right when facing the engine. His view(the correct one) #1 plug is on the left in relation to the direction the car was designed to go. In addition, the timing should be set at 650 rpms. When timing is changed the idle will need to be also so that your final static advance is at 650 rpms. My R1 likes about 8 degrees adv. and I run 93 octane. I also could not rely on my dash mounted tach. Please take no offense to this reply if it seems to elementary. Its just my 2 cents, as you might be far more mechanically inclined than me.
              regards,
              Jay

Comment

No offense taken any help helps. It is on the number 1 cylinder left front plug wire if sitting in drivers seat perspective it is also the cylinder head that sits further foward then the other. as for the accuracy of the dash tach I used my multimeter to measure the rpms and set it with that. it was at 650 when i adjusted the timing and the vaccum advance hose was off and pluged.

i love my Avanti

Comment

Absolutely beeeeautiful car!
                  I love your Avanti too.

regards,
                  Jay

Comment

Thank you very much you would not beleive the sentimental value this car has to me it is what my parents brought me home from the hospital in because grandfatherpicked us up from the hospital in it

i love my Avanti

Comment

Definitely use a different test tach when adjusting rpm's. Some contemporary reviews of the Avanti back when it first came out commented on how inaccurate the tach and speedometers were when couples to test equipment. It's not uncommon at all for the tach sending units to go bad or be even more inaccurate with age and mileage.

If it is your carb that has trouble, you might consider simply replacing it with a new Edelbrock Performer carb with is a modern version of the AFB. It's pretty much a bolt-on swap, with the exception of having to add the PCV connection to it. A 500 cfm with electric choke would be about perfect for an R1. If your car has a/c, then you'd need Edelbrock's a/c solenoid added to keep the rpm's constant when the a/c is engaged.

You would also need a different air cleaner base for the larger neck, but they're available from Studebaker International and probably other vendors as well.

You do this and save your original carb and can rebuild it at your leisure.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
                      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I know where you are coming from. I have my 63 Daytona that brought my children home from the hospital almost 30 years ago.

regards,
                        Jay

Comment

As suggested, first thing to check is discharge from the pump nozzles.

The other thing to check is for free movement of the metering rods. Forgive me if you already know how...two little kidney shaped covers on either side of the carb opening wih two little screws. Loosen the screws a full turn. As they loosen the covers should come up a little becasue the metering rods are spring loaded and will push on the cover. If they do just tighten things back up because I doubt that's your problem.

If there is no 'push' on the covers the rods are stuck down. They should move up as you open the throttle providing more fuel and if they don't you're running too lean and that might cause your hesitation. If you are doing this on the car be real careful not to have a screw pop off into the carb!

Check the fuel filter. The 700 mile drive must have required a couple of fill ups and some sediment might have loosened and clogged the filter.

When you say the car rocks too much when the idle is lowered leads me to think you have a severe vacuum leak or ignition issue causing a mis-fire.

Your Avanti is very, very nice and it sounds like it's in the right hands. I hope you aren't the shy type because that car will bring you lots of attention

ErnieR

1988 "Beater" Avanti---R5388 @ Macungie 2006

Comment

lilscoot250, our Studebaker stories are the same. I came home from the hospital in mine. Only my family has ever owned it since brand new. I understand, totally, your value of this BEAUTIFUL car!!

Congratulations on having it and continuing your family pride and use of it.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Well I am going to go the store today and see if i can get another accelerator pump for the car if not I will look into buyin the edelbrock carb then wait until i can rebuild the carbuarator when i have time. I am KC-135 crew cheif in the U.S. Air Force so I am gone very often (tdy at least 3 times a month) so I may just have to send it to get rebuilt somewhere. Any sugestions. As for the mallory distributor does it look like the stock one I don't wana change the way the car looks at all. Does petronix make a conversion for it like they do with the fords and chevys. Thanks again for all the help it is greatly appreciated.

i love my Avanti

Comment

Working...
                              X