Lark Window Regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark Window Regulator

The passenger side door window regulator on my '59 Lark 2-dr wagon (59S-D6) seems to be stripped. The handle is OK, and the shaft sticking through the door panel is OK, but the crank just turns and turns and the window stays stuck in the "up" position. So I bought a new regulator, and although I've changed these before on other Studebaker models, I first consulted the Shop Manual.

One of the first steps to replace the regulator? "Lower the window."

If I could lower the window, I wouldn't need a new regulator.

Any suggestions that don't involve torches and explosives?

Thanks folks.

Doug Jackman

Hi Doug-

If the regulator is stripped, you should just be able to grab the window with one hand on each side and pull it down. Either that or pull the regulator mounting bolts and drop it that way.

Let us know if that doesn't work.

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Try reaching up inside and pulling the clips out of the rollers that slide in the track. Then just pull the end of the arms back to pop the pegs out of rollers. Be careful that the window doesn't just come crashing down. Have a helper hold up on the glass.

Gordon

Comment

I sold ab bunch of these last year @ York....your regulator was common to several years....

Comment

yes but are they the ambidextrous or is there a left and right? just curious, I'm about to tackle this on my 62 lark and like to get parts before I start projects.

"Oppurtunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" Thomas Edison

Comment

They are left and right. Usually the left ones are in greatest demand.

Now it could be that the window glass is stuck, and the two pins on the regulator arms just popped free of the track. You might as well remove the interior door panel, and explore inside before ordering a new regulator.

If the regulator had failed with the window stuck in the down position, I'd caution you about the finger-pinching hazard of the regulator arm driven by the big clock-spring, but it sounds like that little issue is safe in this case.

I usually remove/replace the regulators with the glass held UP. Once the new regulator is installed, I crank it until the ends of the arms are easy to reach through the access hole, and then lower the glass to meet them.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
            X