Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FLAT TAPPET OIL (original post deleted)

Webmaster note: The original post in this thread has been deleted by its author.

Well we have had Oil Co. engineers say the only oil that will protect the flat tappet engines is the Diesel Oil. Seems to be a contraversial subject. I am running Shell Rotella T 30wt. Diesel in all my Studes, so far so good!

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I recall when this issue first appeared on the forum, members mentioned an article in Hot Rod magazine which said to use the Diesel Oil.

John Clements
      Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
      Lockleys South Australia
      John Clements
      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Then I am at a lost with their website eduacation page:

via a vendor "Comp Cams" that says to use Shell Rotella
        T Diesel oil to lubricate our flat tappet cams....So I'll
        continue to use it as well.

Good - Day

Glen Brose
        East of Chino Valley, AZ
        The Home of "Charlene"
        53 Champion Tudr Sedan

Comment

We have used Rottella T in every piece of equipment we have owned since the early 70's. We run tractors, dump trucks (a model TT and a '48 KB5 binder both still making a few deliveries every year)my M5, forklifts and small engines. Air cooled and water cooled industrial engines gasoline and diesel.For example we keep our equipment forever we just retired a '79 ford that was an everyday truck until this year. I have NEVER had an engine go down due to failure of lubrication. Sure we have done rebuilds but only because of normal wear and tear. Now that they have changed Rottella T I hope it performs the same. Not sure what that is worth to you all but I will not change since we have nothing but success with what we use. I know there are a whole lotta peoples smarter than I is, but I won't mess with what works well for me no matter what them smarter peoples knows.

Comment

I've used Chevron 15w-40 Diesel oil for years without any problems....also, heard of many using synthetics without obvious damage done. Problem is some folks only drive 100 miles a year, that ain't enough to do any damage in any engine.....

Brian K. Curtis

Comment

While I'd prefer the additive package in the Rotella and similar diesel oils, has anyone looked into a 50% mix will regular engine oil?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Comment

Don, I am not disputing his expertise, it's just
                  when you look at his web site and check the educational
                  tab....you have another source "Comp Cam's" saying,
                  what a lot of us have belived over the years, that
                  Rotella T and other diesel lubricants, are what we
                  should be using.... There may be equal value on
                  both sides of the story....but his eduactional tab
                  is telling a different story that is not in line with
                  his own personal version.

Glen Brose
                  East of Chino Valley, AZ
                  The Home of "Charlene"
                  53 Champion Tudr Sedan

Comment

Maybe Thurman was talking about oils rated for diesels only. If you look on the back of an oil bottle, you'll find a little round printed thing that says "API Service" followed by something like SL, SL-CD or CD. "S" oils are rated for use in gasoline engines, while "C" oils are rated for diesels. I like Castrol but I only use it in gas engines because it's rated SL, or for gas engines only and not diesels. Rotella, or at least the Rotella I put in the Stude is rated for both gas and diesel engines. There are oils that are rated for diesel use only and maybe that's the ones Thurman is talking about. By the way, the second API letter designates the oil's suitability for different engines and conditions. If memory serves me right (and it may not), CC oils are adequate for heavily loaded naturally aspriated diesels while turbocharged diesels need CD oils. That may have changed because they're always changing the letters. the oil I use in my diesel tractors is rated CF-SH, so it's suitable for everything I have on the place (except the Stude, he gets Rotella).

Thurman may also have been talking about old engines that had used non-detergent oils for years. Throw in a high detergent oil and it's going to break loose crud from everywhere.

Comment

Comment

From Hot Rod magazine :

Comp Cams swears by Shell Rotella T diesel oil for use in high-performance street cars. It's available in both mineral-based and full-synthetic formulations with both types containing basically the same superior additive package. Rotella viscosities are generally higher than today's modern formulations, but that's not a detriment for classic musclecars. Diesel oils also add a superior detergent package that can keep the piston rings cleaner for better oil consumption control. The drawback, if any, would be on a high-mileage engine where blow-by can cause detergent to accumulate in the combustion chamber, possibly contributing to detonation.
                        Modern heavy-duty truck diesel oils with lots of ZDDP additives will be marked "CI-4" or "CI-4 Plus." They also easily pass the API Service SL gasoline engine performance test (but due to the high ZDDP content, not the SL chemical composition specs). Such truck oils are an economical and effective solution for flat-tappet longevity, according to many sources.

Even better than diesel oil are specially formulated racing motor oils. Although the most expensive solution, these oils usually contain even more antiwear additives than diesel truck oil, as well as other performance-enhancing ingredients specifically designed for hardcore, high-performance gasoline engine usage. According to Cosworth's Thomas Hayden, some diesel oils may not have friction modifiers that he claims are helpful in preventing piston scuff on high-performance gasoline engines, especially if running modern low multiviscosity oils. But Dan Arcy, technical marketing manager for Shell Lubricants, takes issue with the importance of friction modifiers, which he says "are only present in the very low viscosity GF-4 oils for fuel economy reasons."

64 Commander 2 dr.
                        64 Daytona HT
                        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
                        63 Avanti R1
                        63 Daytona convert
                        63 Lark 2 door
                        63 Lark 2 door #2
                        62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
                        62 Lark 2 door
                        62 GT Hawk 4 speed
                        60 Lark HT
                        60 Hawk
                        59 3E truck
                        52 Starliner
                        51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I find that discussions on oil, filters and gasoline usually fall into the same catagory as talking about politics, religion and sex. Everyone has their own ideas of what works and what doesn't. And I don't think I'd ever be able to change anyones views on any of the six subjects listed above anymore than someone could change mine.

Bon Appetit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

I find that discussions on oil, filters and gasoline usually fall into the same catagory as talking about politics, religion and sex. Everyone has their own ideas of what works and what doesn't. And I don't think I'd ever be able to change anyones views on any of the six subjects listed above anymore than someone could change mine.
                            Hey Tom...you've got to throw spark plugs in with those also [}]

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X