Vacuum line connections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacuum line connections

As stated in my "It Runs" post, I am planning to do a little tuning this weekend. When I got the car, it didn't have any vacuum lines installed. I guess I need to get these hooked up before I go much farther. Can someone describe how the lines are supposed to connect. I have looked through the service manual and don't see what I am looking for. It is a 289 in a 59 Hawk with a WCFB carb.

There is one large line coming up out of the intake that attaches to the carb right by the automatic choke housing. There is also a smaller diameter line coming up out of the intake right besids it that currently doesn't connect to anything. Where does that go?

Also need to know where the vacuum advance on the distributor connects.

I also have what appears to be a PCV coming out of the base of the carb plate pointing forward. Is that what it is and where does it connect? I don't see any open hose connections for it.

A description or a photo will work for me.

Thanks
    Wayne
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

First of all, the two small tubes on the right side of the Intake Manifold are coming out of the Heat (center) port, so there is NO vacuum there, just heat, so one can be open to the atmosphere.

The vacuum advance is a small port on the front of the WCFB, Studebaker versions of this Carb. have the PCV in the center at the REAR! Are you sure this is a WCFB and from a Studebaker?

The PCV hose goes to the lifter cover at the rear with an adapter that goes in the old draft tube hole and must use a One-Way valve PCV Valve in the hose or fitting.

It is that simple! [^] On non-PCV, non-Power Brakes engines, there is only ONE vacuum line! [^]

There is something strange going on here:
    QUOTE: "There is one large line coming up out of the intake that attaches to the carb right by the automatic choke housing."

I have NO CLUE what that is about because it should NOT exist!
    Does the fuel line enter at the right side on the FRONT of the Carb.?
    Could the Carb be on backwards? Something is wrong here, sorry I don't know why. [:0]

If you have some kind of Calif./New York emissions system Carb. adapter UNDER the Carb. to provide a PCV vacuum source, you need to throw that AWAY! [xx(]

If you have no Power Brakes there should be a plug in the left rear Intake Manifold runner for that. [^]

I hope some of these answers to your questions at least solves a few of your concerns.

A poster here named Clark (showbizkid) has a '63 Lark Standard 2 Dr. with a real nice pic of his WCFB setup on his engine, maybe he will re-post it, or someone can locate it with the search function, I do not have the time right now.

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Here are the temporary connections I made today. Do these look right?

Is this the "draft tube" you mentioned? It conects to the plate under the intake manifold. The tube is metal and about 3/4" diameter. It just runs down behind the block and seems to be open to atmoshere.

Does this mean my engine doesn't have a PCV. I think this is the port you were refering to on the back of the carb. It is blocked off with an ugly contraption.

Thanks
      Wayne
      Wayne

sigpic

Comment

Draft tube, yes, choke stove, not sure, could be... Vacuum line to distributor, I'm not sure how long the plastic tube will live with underhood temperatures in the 150 to 200 Deg range. Other than that, you are moving in the right direction. No, you don't have a PCV set up.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
        ....On the road, again....
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

Yea, plastic tube was the only thing we had laying around that was the right size. It will be replaced as soon as I get to the auto parts store.
          Wayne

sigpic

Comment

quote: It is a 289 in a 59 Hawk with a WCFB carb. Thanks Wayne
            Good looking car. I noticed the Texas license plate. Did the Great State of Texas lose another one of their rust free Hawks?
            What year 289 is it?

Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

The line that is coming off the right side of the intake manifold[ part of the carb choke heat] needs to be open to the air. Heated air is drawn into the choke housing causing the choke to open. That tube that goes into the center port of the intake can sometimes rust out causing a vacuum leak. you'll find out when you remove it with the enging running. Maybe thats why there is a cable operated choke on your carb. At the back of the carb is that a rubber plug blocking a pcv port? You may want to replace it as heat and age has probably made it brittle. If it has a threaded [into the carb] nipple I would remove it and just install a metal plug. Lou Cote [8D]

Comment

I bought the car from a guy in Texas, he bought it a few years ago from a guy in New Mexico. I haven't looked at the engine number so I am not sure what year the engine is.

OK, I think I understand. One line going into the U tube is open to atmosphere, the other goes to the carb as I have it. When the engine runs it pulls a vacuum on the line attached to the carb. This sucks air into the line open to atmosphere, down through the U tube and finaly into the carb choke mechanism. Am I right or is there still something I am missing?

Actualy the rubber plug is still in good shape. Since this car doesn't have a PCV, how difficult would it be to add one. I assume I would just have to remove the draft tube and install a hose fitting. How does that draft tube connect? Do I need some kind of special adapter? To me it seems the PCV is a better design or should I leave it as is?
                Wayne

sigpic

Comment

You are correct on the choke stove connections. The two engines I have access to, one a Stromberg, 2 bbl, and one a CWFB are connected as you show them, with a heavy rubber hose connected just above the choke plate on the carb. This allows the air entering the choke stove and subsequently the carb, itself to be filtered. My '53 shop manual illustrates this in two pictures.

The PVC design does away with the oil filler stand, front and center of the engine. With it in place the PVC, and the carb, suck air in the filler stand, thru the valley and out the PVC connection to the carb. That's not what it's intended to do. With the correct set up, the carb sucks air from the valve cover inlets, taking air from the crank case, too.

Leave it as it is.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                  Tom Bredehoft
                  '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                  '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                  ....On the road, again....
                  '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                  All Indiana built cars

Comment

Working...
                  X