Keep blowing softplugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep blowing softplugs

Well, it happened again. Havent worked on the GH for a while because of being unemployed. Anyways, I needed to move it, so I started it up. After letting it idle for a few minutes to warm up, I revved it up a bit, and BAM! Another freeze plug gave away. It's to cold in my unheated garage to try and get it jacked up and crawl around it, so I dont know exactly what happened. I replaced the last freeze plug with an expanding type that was kindly given to me by Jim Bradley. I dont know if it is the one that came out again, or if another one popped.

Both times, the engine revved really quickly. I'm assuming maybe the supercharger is kicking in or something. But anyways, as soon as it revs, a freeze plug pops.

Does the water pump in these things put out that much pressure?

Freeze plugs are supposed to pop if the coolant freezes and expands. They idea is to save cracking the block. Somehow your cooling system is being pressurized beyond normal. In cold country, they add a dye to the coolant and it changes colour if it mixes with exhaust gases (e.g. blown head gasket). You'll have to get another plug in there before you can test it. Good luck!
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Your disc type core plugs were not driven FLAT and sealed, when properly installed they should hold.

Was there 50% straight (not 50/50 mix) Anti-Freeze and 50% water in the system, so we can rule out freezing? [:0]

I do not trust any "temporary" rubber or metal bolt-in core plugs, I just want PERMANENT, and use BRASS. Maybe just me, but I also have never had a problem with over 100 Studes.

StudeRich
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Silly question, but does the radiator cap hold the proper pressure? Is it the correct pound rating for your car?

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
        '63 F2/Lark Standard
        http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
        www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Freeze plugs are correctly called Core Plugs. They are holes in the casting so that sand (used to form the inner cavities) can be removed. If our world never got below 32 degrees, there would still be core plugs. They may pop out when a block freezes, but they won't prevent damage to that block from freezing.

The coolant pump circulates coolant, doesn't put it under pressure.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
          Tom Bredehoft
          '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
          '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
          ....On the road, again....
          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
          All Indiana built cars

Comment

I just wanted to see if every time I post something StudeRich or Tom come to the rescue. It's been a while (lol).
            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

2nd vote for checking your pressure cap. Although I would expect a hose, radiator, or heater core to fail first unless the plugs were weak or incorrectly installed.

Nathan

https://jeepster.vonadatech.com

Comment

I would check to be sure it was the same one,
                before I looked for the problem. If it was a different
                one, I would say installaion is the problem. If
                it is the same one, there may be a problem with
                the core hole. Something else should give first
                if it's a pressure problem. After starting, when
                repaired, remove the cap and watch for bubbles.

Tex in Alabama

Comment

Jerry,

I'll add my theory. You have a leaking head gasket (or block) that is allowing cylinder combustion pressure to leak into the cooling system. Since the thermostat hasn't opened yet, the cooling system can't relieve the pressure into the radiator quickly enough, so the cap isn't able to release the pressure. When you rev the engine, the leaking gasses pressurize that side of the motor and POP!

Install another plug, and remove the thermostat and radiator cap. Watch for bubbles in the coolant, or borrow a "sniffer" to check for combustion gas in the system.

Good luck. Hope to see you at York.

Jim Bradley
                  Lewistown PA
                  '78 Avanti II
                  Jim Bradley
                  Lake Monticello, VA
                  '78 Avanti II
                  sigpic

Comment

I can attest to the unreliability of rubber expansion type plugs. Once when my block heater failed in AZ, I replaced it with a rubber one since it was above my starter & inaccessible until I could get the proper tools. I did just fine for about 4 months that I forgot about it, & then one morning it popped out on the freeway, and cracked a head. I have seen them last for years, but don't trust 'em.

Barry'd in Studes
                    Barry'd in Studes

Comment

Yes, I'll have to check out exactly what happened this time, once the weather cooperates a little.

I believe the original plug came out because even though it was the correct type dome type plug, I believe it was installed incorrectly. When it came out, I noticed that it was still dished like new, and it had silicon around the edges. I think someone put it in, and didnt know that you are supposed to hit them to expand them. Since it was not a super tight fit, I think they just put silicone around it hoping it would hold.

The reason I put the expandable plug in was twofold. Upon examination, the ridge around the hole is not in the best of shape, so I was afraid the metal dish type would not seal correctly. Also, since the motor was still in the car, the expandable plug was the easiest way to fix the problem because it would have been almost impossible to whack the correct type freeze plug with anything.

Hi Jim. Sure hope its not a head gasket, but it does sound logical.

Comment

Brass ones are a little more forgiving to install
                        in the car, and better too. Use permatex

Tex in Alabama

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Rerun

Jerry,

Good luck. Hope to see you at York.

Jim Bradley
                          Lewistown PA
                          '78 Avanti II
                          I'd love to go to York, but dont think I'll make it. Funds are a little low this year, plus I wouldnt be able to go until Saturday and all of the good stuff will be gone by then. Besides, I dont think anyone will be able to find YOrk this year with all the snow - lol. Supposed to snow all week with another storm in the mix as well. Certainly not like last year with the beautiful weather.

BTW, what's the deal with holding Stude events in PA when its cold out? York at beginning of March. Reedsville in November. Those dates may be fine for Arizona, but not PA. I think someone really needs to rethink this - lol.

Comment

BTW, what's the deal with holding Stude events in PA when its cold out? York at beginning of March. Reedsville in November. Those dates may be fine for Arizona, but not PA. I think someone really needs to rethink this - lol.

They've avoided the really bad months, If they had to have them in good months they'd be back to back in July and August. That's the only time it's warm like Arizona.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                            Tom Bredehoft
                            '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                            '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                            ....On the road, again....
                            '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                            All Indiana built cars

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Tom B

They've avoided the really bad months, If they had to have them in good months they'd be back to back in July and August. That's the only time it's warm like Arizona.

And that is perfectly okay with me!

Comment

Working...
                              X