No announcement yet.

ZDDP question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a website for the type of oil you need that contains the proper amount of zinc--zddp
    http://www.bradpennracing.com/
    PAUL LAUSCH

Comment

Here's Castrol's website on the subject.

Castrol SYNTEC 20w-50
      Exceptional Engine Protection for Classic Cars

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/gener...tentId=7032644

Steve

53 Commander Hardtop, A/T, P/S
      55 Commander Conestoga
      60 Lark Regal Convertible, A/T
      62 Champ 7E7, A/T
      49 2R15 Stakebed
      Steve

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

53 Commander Hardtop, A/T, P/S
      55 Commander Conestoga
      60 Lark Regal Convertible, A/T
      59 Lark 4 Door Parts Car
      62 Champ 7E7, A/T
      49 2R15 Stakebed

Comment

Okay. So I just decided to start using Brad Penn motor oil. Made in PA only about an hour away from me. Has 1500ppm ZDDP, $4.50/quart, and several local sources for it. Seems like the perfect fit to me.

Comment

What options are there for brand x engines that normally called for 10W-30 or 5W-30 oil? I've been using 10W-30 diesel oil in my 80s vintage cars with flat tappet cams but its going away too. Suppose my only option is buy additives? I don't want to put that thick 20W-50 oil in given cold weather operation.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

For what it's worth, I've just had my R-1 engine rebuilt and the rebuilder...a pro who knows his stuff...said not to use racing oil because of the lack of detergent.

But if it's a clean (newly rebuilt) engine and It doen't get driven that much or that hard...do I really need detergent?

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

By all means, John. The detergent is what KEEPS your engine clean. Short trips where the engine dosen't get real hot is when the moisture does not get evaporated and will cause things to get sludged up. The little 4oz bottle of ZDDPlus is the best thing, and it works with the oil of your choice. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
              Auburn, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
              Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Do you need to add ZDDP to synthetic motor oils such as Mobil1? Anything that has been published (that I have encountered) has skirted this issue.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Jeff_H

What options are there for brand x engines that normally called for 10W-30 or 5W-30 oil? I've been using 10W-30 diesel oil in my 80s vintage cars with flat tappet cams but its going away too. Suppose my only option is buy additives? I don't want to put that thick 20W-50 oil in given cold weather operation.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop
                  They offer a full range of oils with ZDDP, including straight 30w, 40w, and 50w oils. They also have a special break-in oil, and diesel oil as well. Most cars of that period used straight 30w, so thats what I'm going to get. Looks like all of the dealers are in my area, however. You can check them out at www.bradpennracing.com

Comment

Working...
                  X