ZDDP question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZDDP question.

I was in the parts store the other day, and noticed a bottle of additive that said "Zinc engine oil break-in additive".

Is this what I need to add to my oil in order to get ZDDP?

They didnt have any other kind of additive that had Zinc or ZDDP in it.

In a word...YES! There are 6 Pages of talk on the subject using search word zddp on the Tech. Talk!

I thought this one was pretty good!

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...archTerms=zddp

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Yes, I started the thread in the second link because of my initial confusion, and I always put a container of STP in with each oil change, but since STP wont say how much ZDDP is present, I thought maybe going with an additive may be more accurate.

I'd rather find a local source, instead of going through the hassle of ordering something, so I was hoping that this stuff will do the trick. I believe it is made by Lucas.

Comment

Read this.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243928

Read all the post's if you have time.

Comment

If the break in additive is Lucas brand, 1 ounce per quart is plenty of protection.

Jamie McLeod
          Hope Mills, NC
          Jamie McLeod
          Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
          1958 Commander "Christine"
          1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
          1955 Commander Sedan
          1964 Champ
          1960 Lark

Comment

I don't drive my cars hard, I buy and use Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W 40 oil. It is rated CI 4 +, in 4 qt jugs at Walmart. Seems to be continued in production, don't need ZDDP additive. I change the oil at 1500 to 2500 miles, change filters every two oil changes.

[edit] My '55 used a quart ever 250 miles, so it gets changed twice or three times every time I change it.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
            Tom Bredehoft
            '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
            '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
            ....On the road, again....
            '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
            All Indiana built cars

Comment

If you are using oils without ZDDP (most modern API grades) then and additive is fine. But if you are using a motor oil that has ZDDP already in it, then DO NOT add additional ZDDP, too much can be bad as well. Valvoline VR-1 racing oil, Brad Penn motor oils plus some of the CI4 disel grade oils already have ZDDP at sufficient levels.

John

63R-2386 under restoration & modification
              sigpic
              John
              63R-2386
              Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Get shell Rotella T, it is marketed as a deisel oil and has zddp, we use it in all of our older cars.

Alex Nelsen, 15 year old Studebaker nut.
                1954 Champion Coupe
                Lizella, GA
                Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
                Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
                Lizella, GA

Comment

Not wanting to flog a dead horse but; I was at walmart yesterday and the had 2 1/2 gallon jugs of Rotella T for $25.50 each. The back of the jugs had the following groups on it CJ 4, CI 4 plus, CH 4 CG 4,and CF/SM. Is this the correct oil to use in our Studebakers? Thanks, Lou Cote [8D]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dynolou2

Not wanting to flog a dead horse but; I was at walmart yesterday and the had 2 1/2 gallon jugs of Rotella T for $25.50 each. The back of the jugs had the following groups on it CJ 4, CI 4 plus, CH 4 CG 4,and CF/SM. Is this the correct oil to use in our Studebakers? Thanks, Lou Cote [8D]
                    Even diesel grade oils are dropping Zinc from their formula. It is my understanding that the 15W50 diesel oil with only the CI4 grade on the API label contains enough zinc. Not the one that have the multiple grade labels. Please read other posts on lubrication as this topic has been covered numerous times. My engine has just been rebuilt and I've decided to go with Valvoline VR-1 racing oil.

John

sigpic
                    John
                    63R-2386

Comment

The Cadillac message board also beats this same horse to death every 6-8 months.

I have decided to just spend the little bit extra and use the oil below. It comes right to your door, and no worries about if it is good enough.

You can read the propaganda on their website to get all the details.

http://www.classiccarmotoroil.com/products.html

I just put this in my 64 Commander and my Eldo Brougham ran it all last summer.

David

[img=left]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_SuHaRG4eFas/SevU9Pcl-jI/AAAAAAAACJs/cRB5QokGtEs/s288/DSC01155.JPG[/img=left]
                      David King

1964 Studebaker Commander
                      1958 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham (615)
                      1966 Pontiac GTO convertible

SDC Member#: A011937K
                      sigpic

David King

1964 Studebaker Commander
                      1958 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham (615)
                      1959 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham (56)
                      1960 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham (83)
                      1966 Pontiac GTO convertible

SDC Member#: A011937K

Comment

quote:
                        My engine has just been rebuilt and I've decided to go with Valvoline VR-1 racing oil.

John
                        You had better read the threads in the above links. After reading them, it has become appearant that VR-1 does not have enough ZDDP. Appearantly VR-1 only as around 1100-1200 PPM of the needed additives, when 1500 PPM is recommended for a stock motor. High performance motors and new motors require even more. I just bought a case of VR-1, but after reading those threads, I will be taking it back. Those threads also point out that one can of STP additive (blue bottle) is not nearly enough to provide proper ZDDP levels when mixed with 4.5 quarts of todays oils. They also pointed out that the Lucas additive has Zinc, but not Phosphorus, which is also needed. They did give a list of suitable oils and additives, and I will be looking for one of them to use. Here is a list that I was able to compile, (from those threads) of oils and additives that provide at least 1500PPM of ZDDP...

[u]OILS</u>
                        Motorheads 15w-50
                        Classic Car Oil 15w-40
                        Chevron Delo 15w-40
                        Spectro 10w-40
                        Spectro 20w-50
                        Penzoil 25w-50 GT Racing Oil

[u]ADDITIVES</u>
                        ZDDPLUS
                        Camshield
                        Motorheads HI-Z additive
                        GM EOS
                        Crane Superlube Engine Breakin Concentrate

BTW, they pointed out that most racing oils do not have many of the additives required for street use in them, like detergents to keep your engine clean, because racing engines get rebuilt so frequently that sludge, high mileage, long service times, etc, are not an issue with them. For that reason, I'm leary about using the Penzoil GT Racing oil or the VR-1.

Comment

For entertainment ...

http://photobucket.com/images/beatin...0dead%20horse/

========================
                          63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
                          Martinez, CA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jeryst

quote:
                            My engine has just been rebuilt and I've decided to go with Valvoline VR-1 racing oil.

John
                            You had better read the threads in the above links. After reading them, it has become appearant that VR-1 does not have enough ZDDP. Appearantly VR-1 only as around 1100-1200 PPM of the needed additives, when 1500 PPM is recommended for a stock motor. High performance motors and new motors require even more. I just bought a case of VR-1, but after reading those threads, I will be taking it back. Those threads also point out that one can of STP additive (blue bottle) is not nearly enough to provide proper ZDDP levels when mixed with 4.5 quarts of todays oils. They also pointed out that the Lucas additive has Zinc, but not Phosphorus, which is also needed. They did give a list of suitable oils and additives, and I will be looking for one of them to use. Here is a list that I was able to compile, (from those threads) of oils and additives that provide at least 1500PPM of ZDDP...

[u]OILS</u>
                            Motorheads 15w-50
                            Classic Car Oil 15w-40
                            Chevron Delo 15w-40
                            Spectro 10w-40
                            Spectro 20w-50
                            Penzoil 25w-50 GT Racing Oil

[u]ADDITIVES</u>
                            ZDDPLUS
                            Camshield
                            Motorheads HI-Z additive
                            GM EOS
                            Crane Superlube Engine Breakin Concentrate

BTW, they pointed out that most racing oils do not have many of the additives required for street use in them, like detergents to keep your engine clean, because racing engines get rebuilt so frequently that sludge, high mileage, long service times, etc, are not an issue with them. For that reason, I'm leary about using the Penzoil GT Racing oil or the VR-1.
                            The ZDDP for Valvoline is 1400 ppm Zinc and 1300 ppm Phosphorus and that level is more than adequate. Also don't confuse the different VR-1 oils. Valvoline makes three types of racing oil.

Valvoline VR-1 that you buy at your FLAPS is API Grade "SM" which is the current grade for all gasoline engines and is backward compatible with "SL" & "SJ" grades. It contains the detergent (anti-deposit) additives for street use vehicles.

Valvoline also has speciality VR-1 "non-street legal" oil that is for track use only. This is the oil that has the low detergent formula being used by professional racing crews.

They also have a synthetic VR-1 that is available at your FLAPS and contains the same levels of ZDDP and can be used for street vehicles as well.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/co...ing-motor-oil/

Here street use VR-1 specifications:

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/VR-1_Racing_Motor_Oil.pdf

John

sigpic
                            John
                            63R-2386

Comment

Here's a great article ... states ideal range for zinc & phosphorus is 0.12 to 0.14 weight % (1200 to 1400 ppm).

http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/article..._and_old_cars/

John

sigpic
                              John
                              63R-2386

Comment

Working...
                              X