It Runs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Runs

I got my car (59 Hawk) in October. Bought it off E-bay. The engine was stuck but the body looked very good other than the floor pans.

As soon as the car got here we started pouring a mixture of diesel fuel and motor in the cylinders. After about 3 or 4 days we could turn the engine by hand, but it was tight and had a couple rough spots.

By the way, when I say "we", I am refering to my Dad and I. He has always liked the Hawks so this is a project he is interested in so we can work on it together.

Anyway, we then started with straight motor oil in the cylinders and a couple revolutions 2 or 3 times a week.

During this time I had my Mustang in the shop with some body panels cut out so I had to finish that before I could get the Stude into the shop.

Finally got the Stude into the shop about 3 weeks ago. We pulled the tank and had it cleaned out at the Radiator shop. Had the carb cleaned and rebuilt. Installed a new fuel pump because there just wasn't one on the car. Installed the starter because it was in the trunk when I got the car. Got a set of keys made.

With the starter installed we began spinning the engine with the starter. Did a compression check. All cylinders good expect #3 which had 0psi. Pulled the valve cover and found a valve stuck open. Used a set of pliers to pull the valve back up. Sprayed some penetrating oil on the stem. Turned the engine some more and it stuck a few more time but pretty soon it was working fine and we had good compression on that cylinder.

Installed the rebuilt carb, new plugs and wires. Tried to start yesterday, it would sputter a little but wouldn't start. Made a little adjustment to the timing by turning the distributor. Hit the starter and it fired right up.

It actually ran pretty good. Smoked a lot at first as you would expect. Blew a lot of crap (dirt, rust, carbon, etc) out of the exhaust. A little rough at first but smothed out as it warmed up. Had about 35psi oil pressure at idle. Temperture gauge came up to about 175 and leveled out. The amp gauge moved slightly positive like it was working. We let it run about 20 minutes, exhaust had cleared up a lot, almost clear. The biggest problem I saw was a leaking water pump.

Now I am really excited. Can't wait to start fixing other stuff (lights, wipers, lights, etc). Thanks for all the advice and answers so for. I am sure there will be a lot more before I finish this thing.
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but you have contracted "THE DISEASE"[:0]

The next thing you'll do is think about rust repair, then it needs paint, then might as well get the chrome redone. Then you're done!

Not so fast sparky, It would look better with new wheels, oh! no the interior needs to be replaced.

As you can see, it will get worse. At least you are among the afflicted.

By the way, how bout some pix?

Glad to have you among us.

Bob

Comment

Wayne,"GREAT STORY" talk about a "HEART TROBB" I really hope you enjoy this Studebaker thing!!! got any in shop pics to share.

Joseph R. Zeiger
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Awesome, Another one running. Definitely won't to see some pics.

Gordon

Comment

That is a good story, and inspiring. Thanks for taking the time to share. The fact that it's something you can do with your dad is frosting on the cake!

Comment

Excellent!! I love it when a plan comes together...

Comment

Now you've got it running, change the oil a couple of times to get the stuff that was sticking it out and any odd oil that got dumped in.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
              Tom Bredehoft
              '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
              '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
              ....On the road, again....
              '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
              All Indiana built cars

Comment

Yea, I was planning an oil changes and a do little tuneing of the carb this weekend. After that I plan to re-check the point gap and maybe check valve clearance. Any other items I should address quickly?

Wecklund, you are absolutely right. Working on this with Dad is great. He was never very intrested in the Mustang but he is psyched over this Hawk. We discovered the leaking water pump last night, this morning at 8:15 he was calling me from NAPA letting me know they couldn't get the pump and that I should order it from SI. This is gonna be fun.

Wayne
                Wayne

sigpic

Comment

That's an excellent step-by-step, textbook procedure for re-awakening a long-dormant engine. That should be a 'sticky' here. Nice work[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Wayne if I am not to late , you don't need to take the fan shroud off to change the water pump, just take the belt off and let the generator roll back on the lower pivot points, then reach in and with one hand hold the fan and the other loosen the bolts, remover the fan then go ahead and remover the bolts for the water pump, its a little tight but not bad, then when you start to put every thing back the pump will be easy but you will find the pulley and fan want to keep moving around and a little hard to get the bolts to line up, here is the trick get 2 bolts the same size but an inch longer and cut off the heads then install the 2 cutoff bolts into the water pump and let them stick out then slide the pulley over the bolts then the spacer then the fan , now take the right bolts and screw in 2 of them in the other holes when they are in place take out the 2 cut off ones and install the last 2 originals ones then put the other things together, works real easy...good luck...Bob

Candbstudebakrs
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

Here are a few photos of the car. Body is in pretty good shape. Floors are rotten.

Delivery day back in October

Didn't run the car much today, that water pump leak just keeps getting worse. I think I'll wait until I get the new pump in before I run much more. Started working on other stuff and I was shocked at how much worked after just a little work. I now have working wipers, head lights, tail lights, parking lights, horn, and the heater blower even runs. Life is good.

Wayne
                      Wayne

sigpic

Comment

Wayne, I see you really got something there.keep us up-dated.

Joseph R. Zeiger
                        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Wayne it looks like the car has a 56 hawk hood on it, one year only hood...Bob

Candbstudebakrs
                          Castro Valley,
                          California

Candbstudebakers
                          Castro Valley,
                          California

Comment

I knew the hood wasn't right for the year but I wasn't sure which year it was from. Anybody have hood that they don't need? Anybody need a 56 hood?
                            Wayne

sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wdills

I knew the hood wasn't right for the year but I wasn't sure which year it was from. Anybody have hood that they don't need? Anybody need a 56 hood?
                              You can probably sell that '56 hood for what you can buy two '57-61 hoods for.

Jerry Forrester
                              Forrester's Chrome
                              Douglasville, Georgia
                              Jerry Forrester
                              Forrester's Chrome
                              Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Working...
                              X