FOM surprise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOM surprise!

I recently bought a 4/V 289 an FOM out of a 61 Hawk. I helped the guy pull the combo. I noticed that the seal for the shifter shaft was leaking.
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...TOPIC_ID=38730
    While I had the valve body out I discovered that it has a 6cyl trans behind the V/8. [:0] This got me curious so I went out and disassembled a V/8 trans that had no second gear. Sure enough, they are different. Not only the valve body, the park drums are different set ups. Thats just the visual differences.

Gordon

Part of the difference would be that a 6 cyl., unit is a 1st gear start, hence valve body and a sprag clutch differences. I couldn't imagine that little 6 doing a 2 nd gear start. Lou Cote [8D]

Comment

Second gear starts wound be bad with a six. I don't think that the six trans would hold up to the V/8's torque. They are lighter duty. I've never rebuilt an auto trans before. I'm going to now. Already have one tore down with manual in hand. Pretty straight forward.

Gordon

Comment

Many 6cyl valve bodies have been installed behind V8's to get the first gear staret. SASCO used to sell the 6cyl valve body
        for that purpose.

Jim Caldwell
        "The view don't change if you ain't the lead dog"
        http://ozarktrails.tripod.com/

Comment

I've read about using the 6cyl valve bodies in the V/8 trans. I'm just going to reseal the shift shaft because the 6 tranny worked fine by what the PO said. I'll keep it as a spare. I'm going to rebuild the V/8 trans I have. Never done one, but after disassembling and inspection it looks pretty straight forward.

Gordon

Comment

Am I reading this right? You have a 6cyl transmission behind a V-8? I didn't even know they could be mounted together.

Joe
            sigpic

1962 Daytona
            1964 Cruiser
            And a few others

Comment

Joe,
              Your reading this right. You can take the cast iron case 6cyl auto trans and bolt it right up to the V/8 bell housing.

Gordon

Comment

Working...
              X