Painting My Steering Wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting My Steering Wheel

My steering wheel has faded and I'd like to paint it. It's a '59 Lark Regal. My feeling is that the wheel should be all black. Not sure though, because there's some red on the wheel.
    What would you guys do in my case and what paint would you use?
    Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Long Island Studebaker Club
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Wheels are not easy to paint but it can be done. SI can sell you a new one for probably less than the labor you will put into prepping & painting your old one, considering how expensive quality paint is.

Repairs are best done with a good grade of epoxy which won't shrink. Wet sand, then prime, and you will be ready to spray acrylic urethane or straight urethane enamel with fast hardner & reducer plus an accelerator(especially in winter). It is best to use a small touch-up gun as a big gun will waste too much paint and also cause unwanted runs. I usually set up a fixture on which the wheel can be twirled and manipulated to different angles. Spray paint with light, even coats; allowing generous set-up time between coats to avoid runs. Too much paint at one time & you will be sorry. If it happens, just wipe the runs off, let dry and wet sand them out, then start over. The end result will be worth the time & effort.

Barry'd in Studes

Comment

My 39 Ford that I built came with a badly deteriorated Banjo steering wheel. I replaced the missing sections with POR-15 epoxy putty and after much shaping and sanding, painted it just like I did the body. A good high build primer and coated with a catalyzed Acrylic enamel. Same as I used on the body. It looked great for the 20 years I owned it.

You can buy any color catalyzed at a good paint store loaded into a spray can.

Bob

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. That's one good looking Ford steering wheel.
        Rog

Smithtown,NY
        Smithtown,NY

Comment

I have painted steering wheels with auto enamel. The main thing is getting them clean and grease/oil free to start with. I have even sprayed them while they were installed in the car. I have done this to a car that I used everyday for years. The wheel paint job stood up well. You will be using yours a lot less.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Rog - I used the same base/clear Omni from PPG for the burgundy and acrylic enamel cream color for my project Lark's wheel, after a thorough cleaning and sanding.

Comment

I havent painted mines yet but im in the process of repairing mines and am using JB WELD epoxy and sticks pretty good so far.
              1957 Studebaker President Sedan 57H-W6 2606

Comment

That's a beautiful Green dash Tom, it will be a shame to have to paint it bright RED to match that pretty wheel. [:0]

Well I guess that would be IF you are not building a Christmas tree!

StudeRich
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Keep it simple. Sand good with 400 (wetsand). Wash it
                  good with Dawn, and rinse real good. Spray with rattle
                  can of laquer. Works and lasts.

Tex in Alabama

Comment

Again, thanks guys for all your good advice.
                    Rog

Smithtown,NY
                    Smithtown,NY

Comment

You can also use bowling ball repair materials for a bowling alley!

Jim
                      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                      their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
                      X