Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

12V Horns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starlightchamp
    replied
    I'm not sure John Kirchoff's suggestion, a very good one, may have been understood.
    If you hook the the 6 volt horns in series, that is a + 12 volt wire to one horns terminal, insulate the mounting of the horn from th chassis by using a nylon bolt, and a strip of rubber to keep it from grounding to the horn assembly, then run a wire from a nut on the horns body to the terminal on the grounded second horn, then both horns will receive a happy six volts.

1950 Champion Starlight
    1963 Hawk GT
    Santa Barbara
    CA

Leave a comment:

• John Kirchhoff
    replied
    Speaking of making people jump, when I was young and foolish (as opposed to being old and foolish at present), a great way to scare folks was to close the throttle (on my bike), hit the kill switch, tweek the throttle a few times to get some gas into the muffler, then turn on the kill switch and a loud backfire would ensue. The best one was a guy that was dressed just like Superfly with his purple felt hat and platform soles (I'm really dating myself!). The way he jumped and ducked behind some shrubs I think he was expecting a drive by shooting! Ah, gotta love it!

Leave a comment:

• blackhawk61
    replied
    [quote]Originally posted by mdelapp

I have searched most sources for a pair of 12V horns for my 53 Commander Hardtop without success. I'm told '55' or later C OR K Body horns would be perfect but no luck finding any.
    Any one out there have an idea where I can locate some
    thanks

Mike,
    1955-1960 Chevy horns(12v)are the same horn as the 12v Stude except for the bracket on them.They can be made to work as is or You can put the Stude bracket on it. They are a little easier to find...

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Lewisville,NC
    (formerly chevpartsman)

Leave a comment:

• studeclunker
    replied
    Awww... but it's so much fun to see them jump!(LOL)

Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?

Leave a comment:

• John Kirchhoff
    replied
    I guess if the extra volume was too frightening for old women and small children, you could insulate the mounting bracket on one and run them in series.

Leave a comment:

• klifton1
    replied
    55 is still 6 volt.
    Klif

55 Speedster
    42 Champ Coupe

Leave a comment:

• studeclunker
    replied
    Loud is good! (LOL) I have a pair on Frumpy that I just HAVE to try that with.

Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?

Leave a comment:

• KGlowacky
    replied
    I don't know about the condition of your old 6v horns but they will work. Only one problem they will BLOW LOUD!!! I have a 55 ford that I converted 5 years ago to 12v and used the 6v horns. Still working just don't use them in a closed room such as a gararge . Good Luck.

Leave a comment:

• mdelapp
    started a topic 12V Horns

12V Horns

I have searched most sources for a pair of 12V horns for my 53 Commander Hardtop without success. I'm told '55' or later C OR K Body horns would be perfect but no luck finding any.
    Any one out there have an idea where I can locate some
    thanks

Working...
X