52 front springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52 front springs

Can someone here tell me how long the front coil springs on a Commander hard top should be ?

Mine were cut off by the P.O. and after I flattened out the ugly end he left they appear to be to short and pop out on the bottom "A" arm.

Would like to know how long they should be or better yet how long they need to be to give it a slightly lowered stance using a BBC transplant.

Thanks,

Dean.

14" give or take 1/2" That is free standing length. It rides around 10 to 10 1/2" where the lower a-arm is parallel to the road.

Comment

Thanks Alan,

Is that a stock height or slightly lowered ?

Dean.

Comment

All Stude springs that I have tested run between 230-300 lbs. inch. To get the best ride and tire ware the lower a-arm should be parallel to the ground but very few run like that. Most run a nose bleed stance. Then when you put a SBC in them they really come up. Custom springs are not cheap or easy to come by.

Comment

He said BBC. How does the weight compare to a small block? Michidan should have the answer since he is running a big block in his 52.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
          1952 Champion Starlight w/overdrive. Searcy, Arkansas
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Even a BBC is 100 lbs. lighter than a 232.

Comment

I actually do not have the answer. My car was a Champion, so it didn't have the heavy Stude V8, but I have always surmised that the 6 was no lightweight either. The car sits very nice with the BBC in it on stock Champion springs.
              Most anybody running a Chevy will have an aluminum intake, headers, and likely even aluminum heads. All weight savers.

www.studebakerhardtop.com

Comment

Working...
              X