Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52-fan
    replied
    I think you will be happier with a manual transmission behind that small engine. A 3 speed with overdrive or a T-5 5 speed with a low gear in the rear end will let you use the power most efficiently.
    It seems that I read that 150 horsepower is pretty radical for the Champion sized six.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    1952 Champion Starlight w/overdrive. Searcy, Arkansas

Leave a comment:

• N8N
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by TroyN

I'm rebuilding a 185 for my Lark and I have a few Idea's for improvement for everyday driving use. I have a few questions in regards to my idea's.
    1. Is it possible to get 200 or more horses out of the 185? I was thinking about boring .60 over and installing an alluminum head with dual carbs and electronic ignition to start with.
    Probably not. 1 HP/CI is pretty good for a naturally aspirated OHV engine; I just don't think you can get there with a flathead. Sorry. Talk to Bill Cathcart; he can tell you what you can reasonably expect from that engine with a good build. I would think that all the things that you suggest would be worthwhile; also possibly split exhaust manifolds.

quote:
    2. I was also thinking about installing an automatic transmission from an s-10. Does anyone know it there are adapters made for this type of installation?
    I know that 5-speeds have been used, so why not. I assume you're talking about an OD automatic? I think I still might be partial to a 5-speed, or just keeping it old school with a 3/OD.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Leave a comment:

• TroyN
    started a topic 185 Rebuild

185 Rebuild

I'm rebuilding a 185 for my Lark and I have a few Idea's for improvement for everyday driving use. I have a few questions in regards to my idea's.
    1. Is it possible to get 200 or more horses out of the 185? I was thinking about boring .60 over and installing an alluminum head with dual carbs and electronic ignition to start with.

2. I was also thinking about installing an automatic transmission from an s-10. Does anyone know it there are adapters made for this type of installation?
Working...
X