Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dynolou2
    replied
    Good that they have a listing for that, just check seal fit on manual lever shaft. Since I have been in the world of transmission repair since 1985, finding seals that I or others need, I tend to look close to home, or is that work. Also if you are looking for a rear seal for that unit, look no further than a 350/700R rear seal. Lou Cote [8D]

Leave a comment:

• laughinlark
    replied
    Hey Lou,
    My flaps had a listing for Stude FOM. Ordered them today. If the seal turns out to be wrong? I'll check with the shop that rebuilt one for me six months ago.

Gordon

Leave a comment:

• dynolou2
    replied
    When you go to your FLAPS, there might be some head scratching when you say its for a Studebaker BW trans. Simular trans was used by ford in the 50's and 60's known as "cruisomatic", also FMX. A local trans shop should have seal and o-ring, but take the old ones and manual lever with you to be sure it fits the shaft properly. Lou Cote [8D]

Leave a comment:

• laughinlark
    replied
    First off, thanks for the tips everyone.
    The trans was out of the car & still bolted to the engine. I went out today and pulled the trans from the bell housing and rolled over. It took about 30 minutes while reading the manual step by step and the shafts are out. I put the shifter arm in Park position to remove shaft retaining nuts. I slowly pulled out each shaft holding the detent lever. I was expecting the ball & spring to go flying.But the lever ends up resting against the case holding the ball in place.[:0] I can see where this would be really challenging in the car! I'll order the seal from my FLAPS Monday & match up the o-ring too.

Leave a comment:

• Rosstude
    replied
    It can indeed be done, I've done it twice. As stated, the little spring and ball is the big challange. I made a tool out of a 1/2" copper tube, and a hammer, some solder, and much trial and error. I recall having the arm and detent sector in place but disconnected as to rotate past ball socket, and then pushing ball and spring into its socket with tool, and then quickly rotating the detent sector over the ball pushing the tool out of the way. I had a big piece of scrap carpet to capture the flying ball when it flew out. It will challange your patience, but is do-able.

[img=left]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g27/Rosstude/OldWorld2005002.jpg[/img=left]
    Ross.
    Riverside, Ca.
    1957 Provincial X2
    1958 Transtar

Leave a comment:

• Kurt
    replied
    It can be done, but that spring/detent will be a REAL challenge to get back together with the trans in the car. Just use the shop manual and extreme patience.

66 Commander R1 Clone
    51 Commander 4dr

Leave a comment:

• laughinlark
    replied
    Thanks Jim,
    I have a 59-60 shop manual. I'll look for it in the morning. I also have a trans that needs rebuilt that I might try it on first.

Al,
    Thanks for the link, I'll check it out in the morning too.

Gordon

Leave a comment:

• acolds
    replied
    The shop manual and parts manual as well as the 57 Clipper supplement are avaiable on line at Packard info
    http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/mo...rticle.php?308

Leave a comment:

• Rerun
    replied
    You will need to remove the pan, screen, control valve assembly, and pressure regulator assembly. Getting the selector shaft apart without losing the spring-loaded detent ball is important. Getting it back together without losing it is a bigger challenge! There are some pics and tips in the shop manual that would be very helpful. If you don't have access to a manual, send me a PM and I'll scan the page.

Jim Bradley
    Lewistown PA
    '78 Avanti II

Leave a comment:

• laughinlark
    started a topic FOM selector shaft leak ?

FOM selector shaft leak ?

I tried the search function with out any luck.
    Can the seals for the selector & governor shaft seals be changed without trans disassembly? Maybe pulling just the valve body? The engine & trans are out of the car. Just bought them and noticed a leak when we pulled the assembly.

Thanks,
    Gordon

Working...
X